Wry neck?...

lparks15

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
I left Thursday to go on vacation and came back Sunday. My cousin took care of my chickens while I was gone. I changed their feed (different brand, crumble instead of pellets, still 16% layer) the day I left. Thursday was the fourth day I had been giving them ~2 tbsp of amprolium in their water, and I told my cousin to give them ~1/2 tbsp each day while I was gone. I came back on Sunday and found one of my girls almost dead in the coop. My cousin said she roosted early the night before but seemed ok, then she was “sitting” on the coop floor all day. She is the lowest of the pecking order, and definitely the one that gets picked on the most. Her neck was completely upside down and she is basically limp. I scooped her up and took her inside. I spent ~2.5hrs holding and hand feeding/watering her. I was giving her watered down feed, egg, and water mixed with ACV. She would eat by herself some, but not much. I isolated her in a cage with some food and water today while I’m at work. Is this wry neck? Could it be something else? Looking back, she has been roosting early for a few days at least, but I didn’t think anything of it and I felt like she was becoming more friendly over the last couple weeks. She hasn’t laid any eggs yet, and her comb is still very small and pale. I think she’s like 6mos old. I just don’t know what to do.

Edit: I massaged her crop for a little bit. It seems swollen... but I can't tell.

Attachments

• BF3FFA6E-1E0C-4E07-B7F2-C62A873874A1.jpeg
    BF3FFA6E-1E0C-4E07-B7F2-C62A873874A1.jpeg
    672.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sounds like maybe botulism which can happen from consuming moldy feed, or feeding on maggots that were on a carcass.

I have never heard of that, thank you! She seems to fit the description really well, but I don’t know where she would’ve came into contact with the fungus. All my chickens/ducks are eating the same feed and the others are fine (they actually just started laying again from a period where they weren’t). They are in a secured run, so idk where she would’ve came into contact with a carcass. Very interesting.... I will do some more research on this. Thank you.

I ones had a duckling that I think died of botulism from gross stagnant water I got her her prevesise owner said she was not well and 3 day later she was paralyzed the woman I got them from had not bean taking very good care of them super sad 😭

I ones had a duckling that I think died of botulism from gross stagnant water I got her her prevesise owner said she was not well and 3 day later she was paralyzed the woman I got them from had not bean taking very good care of them super sad 😭

Oh no :( I change their water once a day and only give them enough food for one day, so unless the food was moldy in the bag, there shouldn't be an issue with feed/water. My ducks make the water dirty after 5 seconds of it being fresh, but that isn't anything new. Her crop was really full yesterday when I felt it again. I massaged it until it was flat and she pooped white mucus-y looking stuff. If she doesn't show signs of improvement by tomorrow morning, I will euthanize so that she is not suffering.

Oh no :( I change their water once a day and only give them enough food for one day, so unless the food was moldy in the bag, there shouldn't be an issue with feed/water. My ducks make the water dirty after 5 seconds of it being fresh, but that isn't anything new. Her crop was really full yesterday when I felt it again. I massaged it until it was flat and she pooped white mucus-y looking stuff. If she doesn't show signs of improvement by tomorrow morning, I will euthanize so that she is not suffering.

So she pooped out stuff as if she had a contagion, not a wound.

I'm guessing that if it had been a wound the poop wouldn't have been mucousy, but more like something black or dark such as blood having gone through the system. Also with a wound there would have also been discoloration in the skin around the neck.

I can't say I know about the other issues the others have said. But they could be right about a food poisoning issue.

Can she move her legs and wings at all? Is he neck limp or twisted? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

She can move her legs and wings. Sometimes she gets a little fiesty when I'm holding her, and flaps her wings and stands up. Yesterday she started grabbing my finger and her feet were more extended, versus the day before where her feet were limp. Her neck is twisted completely upside down and it is limp, however, I noticed that at some points she was able to kind of hold it up. She has not been vaccinated since I've had her, and she was not in good conditions in her previous home, so I'm sure she wasn't there either.

So she pooped out stuff as if she had a contagion, not a wound.

I'm guessing that if it had been a wound the poop wouldn't have been mucousy, but more like something black or dark such as blood having gone through the system. Also with a wound there would have also been discoloration in the skin around the neck.

I can't say I know about the other issues the others have said. But they could be right about a food poisoning issue.

Thank you. Hopefully she recovers :(

Back
Top Bottom