Wry neck?

Redrosecove

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2021
Valley Falls, NY
I noticed one of my chicks was a little hunched? She’s alert and walking and eating and I’ve seen her drink but she’s started almost curling into a ball? Or when she gets stressed her head tucks to her chest and then she seems to have a hard time untucking it. She can walk around when she’s calm but I haven’t seen her bring her head above the horizontal in a day which is very different from the posture of the other chicks. She’s on a chick starter with the others, has water with and without probiotics/vitamins...if this is wry neck any idea why it started and best ways to treat it? She doesn’t look like she’s struggling so I’d like to avoid culling her just yet if possible but if prognosis is poor I won’t let her deteriorate and suffer. Thanks

Attachments

• 63E89904-1E87-4E11-90BE-95C187DB881C.jpeg
    63E89904-1E87-4E11-90BE-95C187DB881C.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 89EB8849-089F-4AAE-B56B-6C79B0854954.jpeg
    89EB8849-089F-4AAE-B56B-6C79B0854954.jpeg
    779.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 48099FE1-126A-4534-8C2F-14101FA80819.jpeg
    48099FE1-126A-4534-8C2F-14101FA80819.jpeg
    816.7 KB · Views: 7
  • A270BE75-0CFC-49B0-9A85-C665F7A15642.jpeg
    A270BE75-0CFC-49B0-9A85-C665F7A15642.jpeg
    860.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1E109BA9-106C-4379-9D21-EDA2C61CB3D7.jpeg
    1E109BA9-106C-4379-9D21-EDA2C61CB3D7.jpeg
    802.9 KB · Views: 7
It could very well be the symptom Wry Neck.
I would start vitamin therapy to see if that helps. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.

See that she's eating/drinking well.

I just found another one of my baby Silkies has wry neck tonight. We lost her sister last week to it. It’s so frustrating because I have been giving them the poultry cell supplement in their water every day. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong 😑.

I just found another one of my baby Silkies has wry neck tonight. We lost her sister last week to it. It’s so frustrating because I have been giving them the poultry cell supplement in their water every day. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong 😑.
What are you feeding?
How old are the chicks?

Poultry Cell is good, but it doesn't have the therapeutic amount of Vitamin E that you are looking for to treat Wry Neck.
Wry Neck is a symptom that can be caused by numerous things. Marek's, trauma, possibly genetics.

What's her poop like? Do you have photos of the chick, the poop and the brooder?

Standard Wry Neck Treatment 👇👇👇👇👇
Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg.

What are you feeding?
How old are the chicks?

Poultry Cell is good, but it doesn't have the therapeutic amount of Vitamin E that you are looking for to treat Wry Neck.
Wry Neck is a symptom that can be caused by numerous things. Marek's, trauma, possibly genetics.

What's her poop like? Do you have photos of the chick, the poop and the brooder?

Standard Wry Neck Treatment 👇👇👇👇👇
This morning she was much better so I put her back in the brooder but removed the light… I wonder if she had hit her head on it? I’m so paranoid after Annie. Her sister was definitely wry neck and we did everything you are saying to do. She passed away in the night a couple of weeks ago 😞 they are two weeks old. They eat Nutrena chick starter medicated and I did the poultry cell as an added preventative when Annie first got sick. The “brooder” is an old Guinea pig cage in our living room. There are 7 of them.

This morning she was much better so I put her back in the brooder but removed the light… I wonder if she had hit her head on it? I’m so paranoid after Annie. Her sister was definitely wry neck and we did everything you are saying to do. She passed away in the night a couple of weeks ago 😞 they are two weeks old. They eat Nutrena chick starter medicated and I did the poultry cell as an added preventative when Annie first got sick. The “brooder” is an old Guinea pig cage in our living room. There are 7 of them.
I'm glad she's better today. I would still give her the poultry cell for a few days to see if she continues to improve.

If you removed the light, how warm is the brooder going to be? 2 wk old chicks do need some warmth.

Get in front of the Wry Neck symptoms as quickly as you can. Vitamin therapy is sometimes needed for Silkies as they're more prone to vitamin deficiencies for whatever reason.

Typically it's Thiamine (Vit-B1) and/or Vit-E that they're lacking. Vitamin E is essential for good neurological development and functioning, so the quicker you can treat, the better off you'll be. Sadly, if left untreated, the neurological damage can reach a point in which is irreversible.

I do a squirt of poultry cell every day in their water. For my adults every other day. We keep our house at 65 but the living room where the chicks are has a fireplace so 75-80 sometimes. I can put the brooder light on the top of the cage? What do you think?

I do a squirt of poultry cell every day in their water. For my adults every other day. We keep our house at 65 but the living room where the chicks are has a fireplace so 75-80 sometimes. I can put the brooder light on the top of the cage? What do you think?
How old are the chicks?

Do they act cold?

Back
Top Bottom