Wry Neck??

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
hello,i started a thread about a week and a half ago about my 1 yr.old cochin probably having wry neck.i got alot of good advice from you all.now i have a new question.i had her on 3-4 drops of polyvisol and a vit.e with selenium twice a day for a week and i have cut it down to once a day for week 2,thats what i read to do.well after the full dose of vits. for a week she seems no better,no worse,which makes me kinda think its neurological and may not get any better.she eats very well and drinks very well.my question is,should i just discontinue the vits. or is there still hope.i have her in the house but am wondering if i can put her back out?im afraid a roo might hurt her with her neck like that.so whatever advice you all can give me id really appreciate...thanks.

From my experience with wry neck, recovery can take up to a couple months, and even then, they're never 100%, and can relapse. This happened with a silkie of mine. I just repeated treatment and kept her separate from the others so she wouldn't get stressed from any rooster activity. As cute as these smaller birds are, they don't seem to be very hardy at all
roll.png
!

Quote:
That's what I did. I also had mine inside at night and during inclement days. When she did go out, I had her in her own enclosure in the grass, so she could exercise her neck muscles by eating grass and foraging a bit.

I have had 2 chickens to come down with wry neck one has fully recovered and in the grow out pen with others the same age and older. The 2nd one which was 2mts at onset of symptoms went outside today for the first time since. She still is not able to hold her head up all the way but I do expect a full recovery
Check out my website for Wry neck treatment

from what ive read on here it seems like its mostly young chickens.heather is over a year old.i have nowhere to put her outside.my grow out coop has 9 week olds in it.she seems pretty happy in the house but i feel bad for her.i think she would be ok outside if it werent for the roos.they are all bantams,but im still fearful.
i couldnt find it on your website,probably right in front of me..lol
thebritt,what vits. did you give and how often?

Back
Top Bottom