wry neck?

hvnsnt3388

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Well, I have a fully feathered birchen juvenile rooster I just bought 14 days ago. 3 days ago he woke up with his neck twisted down and between his legs. I contacted the seller for help and she suggested wry neck. Said to tRy poly vi sol. I couldn't find poly but I had some vital sol for birds and started treating him with 1 drop mixed into a peanut butter scrambled eggs and crushed chick starter mash with a sprinkling of chick saver. I have been force feeding him for 2 days. Last night at sunset....6 pm, he just straightened his head up and started acting normal....thought it was a miracle! This morning at 420 when I woke up and checked on him, he was crooked over...worse, than before. He actually has his head down and twisted in a loop which has his head facing forward....he can only walk backwards. He was this way ALL DAY. Well, at 610 this evening, he miraculously recovered again!!! I added his little hen and he is eating and drinking and sharing his food. He also talks to her constantly...just like nothing ever happened.

ANY IDEAS!!?!?!?!?!?!??

Keep treating him. It can take a few weeks to see improvement.

Good luck.

I have a silke rooster that may or may not have had wry neck. He was weak and stumbling, stopped crowing, and when he was still his head would loll back and he'd just stare up. Not quite what your guy has, but I have been giving mine a half droper of the liquid vitamins (generic poly-vi-sol) and some tetracylene every night for a week and he is doing much better!!! get a dropper and just put the vitamins in his mouth. And keep up on it, that seems to help! Good luck!!!

I successfully treated severe wry neck in one of my Netherland Dwarf bunnies with Colloidal Silver. He was about gone- to the point of rolling around, darting eyes, and neck so twisted. I fed him straight colloidal with a syringe for 7 days- by the second day he stopped getting worse and then just sort of got better. His neck his still twisted, but he's alive and doing fine- 3 months later! :)

In rabbits, treatment for wry neck is usually Ivermectin- to kill the parasite that has reached the brain (according to this article)... or an antibiotic. I didn't have any ivermectin on hand, so I used large amounts of Colloidal Silver.

Don't know if it is the same with chickens... but maybe worth looking into?

Hi what are you using, I am using duravets electrolytes with vitamins. should I be using something else? thank you for your time. I know you posted a time back, how is he doing? thank you

Back
Top Bottom