wry tail, or?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Dec 16, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Can someone please tell me more about wry tail in ducks. One of the ducklings in the box has their tail cocked to the left side and limps/hops around. I'm unsure if it's wry tail, or if his left side is broken some how. I thought I was going to go ahead and cull him because he was laying down funny and not moving when I poked him. I went outside, smoked and cried preparing to come in and do the deed, but when I got back he was moving around again, drinking and eating. Any advice would be appreciated. She's not one I'm keeping, she's part of a shared order.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:It sounds like wry tail which is some what like curvature of the spine in humans seldom fatal but deformed and unhandy, probally won't live to a old age but can be fairly happy without winning any beauty contests.~gd

3. rainplace

Thank you, goosedragon. Is there anything special I can do for her, or should I just leave her alone

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I don't know of anything you can do or I would suggested it. If it is crippled you can put her down.

5. I have no experience with this Rainplace but want to offer this thought. With humans at least a lot of congenital problems are related to a low nutritional state. This duckling may have somehow gotten less nutrition or had some trouble with absorption which may in turn affect its health in other ways to some degree. I would think making sure it had the 5% brewers yeast, apple cider vinagar, and fresh greens could give it a boost even though you wouldn't be able to reverse wry tail. There's no way it could hurt. You may already be doing this stuff anyway! [​IMG]

6. rainplace

You know when I posted the second question, I was thinking that you would have said.. doh.

So far she's still getting around fine. Later today she'll be out of my hands. So unless something happens between now and then, looks like she's going to live.

The plus side is I know I would be able to cull if I needed to, which is a sad but important part to raising ducks. [​IMG]

7. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    You'll be happy to know rainplace, she's doing ok so far, eating and drinking.. having a harder time getting around, but learning. She always seems to be wet though, I told her to quit falling in the water dish, I think I got the duckling equivalent of the finger. She's got an attitude.

8. rainplace

Quote:Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by