Wryneck Treatment?

xIndigoSkyx

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
St.Albert, Alberta
I need to know everything and fast! Busy busy busy, little guy is a Peking Runner cross, 3 and a half weeks old, pretty sure has wryneck, eats like a horse but has a twisted neck without and injury or anything, he's had it for about 4 days.
1) I've heard you can treat it with Vitamen E and Polyvisol givin oraly then Niacin in water, does this work?
2) If so where do I buy it? I've heard walmart
3) Any other forms of treatment?
4) How long does it take to see improvement?
5) Will he improve?
I need all the help I can get and fast because with school and all the other birds I can't focus all my time on him, the faster he gets better the sooner we can all get back to normal.

Thanks if you can help,
Robyn.

I found this when I thought my little one had wry neck. Sadly I did not get the chance to use it but maybe it will help you.
Again it's not a treatment I used I had copied it to my ipad notes and am just copying it here I can't remember the sight or place I found it.
I also don't know if this dose is appropriate for a 3 week old

"Here is my treatment for wry neck that has been very successful.
A.M.
50 mg of selenium - I give mine by putting it in the back of the chick's throat & then massaging the neck until it's swallowed. Chicks can overdose on selenium so do not give more than 50 mg each day. Could probably be given in crushed form mixed with water or even mixed with vit. E & given with eyedropper.
1000 units of vit. E - I cut off the end & squeeze the liquid into the chicks mouth. Vit. E is needed to help the chick absorb the selenium.
Polyvisol (without added iron) - a few drops in the chicks mouth about 3 times a day.
P.M. 1000 units of vit. E
Once the chick appears normal, continue treatment for at least another 2 weeks before integrating back into the flock. I usually put a chick of the same age in with the wry chick for a few days & let them bond before putting both back into the flock."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom