WTB: cheap egg candler?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Ashleyy_x3, Mar 18, 2009.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Mine is a metal coffee can with a hole cut in the bottom and inside it is a porcelian light fixture with a light bulb. It was really easy to make just have to be careful as the metal can get hot if I leave it on too long. It works great. I remembered using one in high school so I just told my Dad what I wanted and he made it for me [​IMG]

2. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I got me a mini mag lite led its PERFECT size for the button and quail eggs. I did buy the biggest lumens available in this size light thou... I think is 80 lumens.... I LOVE it! I keep it on top of the bator so I can use it when needs for looking at chicks hatching in the bottom!!! it was the smallest size that I could find and onlu has 1 aaa battery in it!!!

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ash get your better-half to make you one. Ill send you the info on one that is inexpensive and works tremendously well. Send me your email.

Gate

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I also use a mini-maglite. They work very well! [​IMG]

5. nicktide

nicktide In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    A flashlight in a terra cotta flower pot (the red clay kind) works great with a flashlight inside. Most already have a single drainage hole in the bottom. They are inexpensive as well if you don't already have one around. A plastic flower pot with one hole should work if it's the right size.

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I used a full roll of toilet paper and squeezed the end slightly to make an oval shape. Then I used the large Maglight (costs around 20 bucks-but the BEST flashlights!), and set the eggs on top of the TP, shine flashlight up through. Works perfect! And I could see by day 3-4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: