WTB - Chicken crates or cages - like they use in shows

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Must Be Losing It, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Where does someone find these? For the life of me I've been looking for inexpensive crates/cages to transport chickens that I won't be upset if someone does not return to me. Any suggestions?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    These are the cheapest ones i have found. I was at the Ohio Natl and got a really nice one for 2o bucks, but that was hard to find, they are usually $30-$100

3. daygrower

daygrower Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Trey are not hard to make if you are just transporting chickens.at most farmers co-op or tractor supply they have wire used for rabbit cages and you get J clips and J clip pliers cut it out and put it together. that lets you make them to what ever size you want. you will have to make some sort of latch for the door I just use a piece of wire

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I use vegetable crates from local fruit and vegatable stands/markets. The link below is basically what they are.

Crate

The only difference is that most stands give them away FREE. I have even picked them up at grocery stores. Check around, what could it hurt.

The normal size crates will hold 1-2 standard hens depending on size.

I have also used tomatoe boxes. These are the same size as the crates, but are cardboard with solid bottoms. A handful of shavings to prevent slipping and sliding is all that is needed.

Matt

6. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Free is good! I like that one. That and the deal at Lowes - less work for me!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by