WTC Quail Cage in OH

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by winstonsgrrrl, Sep 23, 2009.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Looking for a good rabbit hutch or other cage to keep quail in. Willing to drive a bit for one, if necessary. I'm going to the swap meet on Sunday, but I don't know what they'll have as far as cages and I'll need something to house the quail I plan to get while there.

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for the link. I've been looking around on craigslist a bit. Just curious--why wouldn't this one be great for quail? I'm new to them, so I want to know what to look out for!

4. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
  5. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    That first one would be good because it's lower, quail don't need a lot of height ( I assume you are getting coturnix? ) I assume your weather is fairly cold too so either of those would give them some protection from cold and predators. The first one has trays so the poo wouldnt drop , the second one I assume the poo would drop on the ground. personally I like the poo to drop as then I can just shovel it out but I have them with trays too and you have more options on where you can put it with a tray.

Make sure if they don't have hardware cloth that you add it, as raccoons can pull their little feet or heads through anything bigger and it's not pretty.

nancy

6. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    i built my pens super easy and takes about an hour or 2 and 35 ft of 1/2 x 1/2 HW cloth total cost is about $25 for 4 pens 2ft x 2ft x 1ft

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by