Wtf is this???

Ok so I decided to get handsy with the keet (they HATE being held at all!) and it looks like it got smaller so I’m going to go with it’s the crop plus it looks like another one is puffing up a bit in the same spot. The chicks haven’t shown anything like this at all and my smallest keet isn’t presenting with it either so I’m gonna day my fat ass keets are hoarding to max capacity lol

Ok so I decided to get handsy with the keet (they HATE being held at all!) and it looks like it got smaller so I’m going to go with it’s the crop plus it looks like another one is puffing up a bit in the same spot. The chicks haven’t shown anything like this at all and my smallest keet isn’t presenting with it either so I’m gonna day my fat ass keets are hoarding to max capacity lol
You could try posting on the emergencies and disease forum to see if anyone there has ideas. It seems like it must be the crop, but that it’s abnormal as it should be totally emptying overnight.... I’m wondering if they might have ingested some shavings that are partially obstructing the crop outflow, so some feed can pass through to the rest of the digestive tract, but the crop isn’t emptying normally?

You could try posting on the emergencies and disease forum to see if anyone there has ideas. It seems like it must be the crop, but that it’s abnormal as it should be totally emptying overnight.... I’m wondering if they might have ingested some shavings that are partially obstructing the crop outflow, so some feed can pass through to the rest of the digestive tract, but the crop isn’t emptying normally?
So it seems less swollen now but there’s still a decent size that you can notice. It does seem to balloon and then deflate so I do think it’s the crop and it’s just a greedy guinea! Lol I spoiled them for the past couple days and provided some fresh snacks (red cabbage, slivered carrots, kale, and Brussels sprouts) and the day I gave them the Brussel sprouts even the chicks had gorged enough to bulk their crops! The guinea I pictured is the largest bird out of all of them.

So it seems less swollen now but there’s still a decent size that you can notice. It does seem to balloon and then deflate so I do think it’s the crop and it’s just a greedy guinea! Lol I spoiled them for the past couple days and provided some fresh snacks (red cabbage, slivered carrots, kale, and Brussels sprouts) and the day I gave them the Brussel sprouts even the chicks had gorged enough to bulk their crops! The guinea I pictured is the largest bird out of all of them.
If you want to be able to allow your adult guineas in your garden without them causing damage, never feed them treats from the garden when they are keets. They will remember when they are adults and they will help themselves to those goodies.

Glad to hear that the keet is doing well! We only feed grass and clover as veggies to keets, to save my hubby’s garden as adults. I do give the keets mealworms, crickets, and whatever other insects I can catch ( we don’t use pesticides on our grass or garden).

If you want to be able to allow your adult guineas in your garden without them causing damage, never feed them treats from the garden when they are keets. They will remember when they are adults and they will help themselves to those goodies.
Ok I haven’t given them anything I am currently growing so far out of pure luck lol but now that I know I will be much more diligent.

Glad to hear that the keet is doing well! We only feed grass and clover as veggies to keets, to save my hubby’s garden as adults. I do give the keets mealworms, crickets, and whatever other insects I can catch ( we don’t use pesticides on our grass or garden).
I’ve been encouraging ants lol. Any time I find one in the house I injure it and then offer it to the birds. Ants are a MAJOR problem at my house.

Back
Top Bottom