WTF? - somewhat graphic pic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BairleaFarm, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    You know I try. I try to protect me girls. I talk to them daily and I sit and feed them treats from my hand several times a week. I spend money on a nice coop so they have a warm place to live. I talk to them and inspect them almost every night in the coop. Im feed them well and change their water often. I protect them the best I can. I lost 50 birds back in the summer so I change my protocols with locking them up at night. I introduce new turkeys that do well but leave a week later(at least one came back today). I had a hawk that was pickin off my young bids so i penned them up with a protective roof. Ive slimmed my flock to 20 or so birds for the winter as i plan to breed next year. I had a flock of wyandottes that colby?? for byc gave me. They werent the prettiest but still pure stock. I pass on her generosity and give three hens to a gal whos been wanting them but didnt have the funds. This left me with 2 rooster and 9 or so hens.

I come home today and see no chickens. Very odd seeing how its a pretty day outside. I walk into the coop and im missing 6 or so wyandottes and the rest are cuddle in the corner(weird seeing how they love the roost in the coop) I go outside and notice one of the hens laying in the dirt. I figured shes sunbathing. I go over and shes dead. What takes 6 or so birds in the daylight? Im trying but im sad and frustrated to the point of almost crying all at the same time.

[​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So sad! I'm sorry [​IMG].

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Were the chickens free ranging? If so I would guess dogs. Sorry for your loss [​IMG] .

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Dogs or fox.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Dogs...they kill and most time don't eat any..........just kill for fun of the chase.

6. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I only found the one body. Shortly after posting this my brother came over and saw a about 5 coyotes a couple hundred yards behind my house. Had to be them. Ive killed all the neighboring dogs so they are no longer an issue. And yes they were free ranging.

7. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    So sorry for our loss

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Those coyotes will be back if it was them that did the deed. I am sorry for your loss.

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I am so sorry.

10. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I know they will and ill be ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by