WTH is that?

No, my pullets started out with very small sometimes misshaped eggs. And darker brown.
The thought of a double yolk is my thinking as well. My wife doesn't want to break it just yet so I can't see just yet.
Yeah, it can be hard to decide to crack them, because they look unreal. Another option would be to blow it out and keep the shell, but then you wouldn't get as good a look at the contents. I got a double yolker a few days ago, but the egg looked normal sized. It seems like my individual hens can lay varying shades within the same bird. Sometimes the egg itself will have varying colors where it looks like differences in minerals/pigments occurred as it was forming. Sometimes I get speckles, too.

Hmmm I was just going to ask what breeds but you just answered that. I had an Orpington who laid huge eggs. They wouldn’t fit in an egg carton, not to sit in them and I couldn’t even close the lid on the carton.
I had an orpington that did that. She died earlier this year from prolapse. I have had three orpingtons and they have always been my favorites. The two others got killed by predators. One was found dead with her head pulled through the fence...she probably greeted the critter that killed her, she was so sweet. Her name was goldy...that is where my screen name comes from. That was a very bad day. Had just come home from the hospital after visiting a family member that we were losing. I am now taking a break from orpingtons because it seems that they are so sweet and calm that the predators always get them first and they are always my faves, which makes it extra awful.

It is literally twice as big at least.
Double yolker or egg in an egg.
Not uncommon with young and especially high production breeds.
Two yolks get released at the same time and encased a single shell.

Also, do chickens sometimes lay eggs with different hues of say brown eggs?
Yep, the brown coating can vary slightly from day to day.

I had an orpington that did that. She died earlier this year from prolapse. I have had three orpingtons and they have always been my favorites. The two others got killed by predators. One was found dead with her head pulled through the fence...she probably greeted the critter that killed her, she was so sweet. Her name was goldy...that is where my screen name comes from. That was a very bad day. Had just come home from the hospital after visiting a family member that we were losing. I am now taking a break from orpingtons because it seems that they are so sweet and calm that the predators always get them first and they are always my faves, which makes it extra awful.
Sorry to hear that. We lost ours also I am not sure what was wrong with her. (Before I found this forum). We just bought 5 lavender Orpington and a black one though.

[QUOTE="Mvan42, post: 21623259, member: 5349 I had an Orpington who laid huge eggs. They wouldn’t fit in an egg carton, not to sit in them and I couldn’t even close the lid on the carton.[/QUOTE]
I have been wondering about what her eggs are going to look like when she starts laying.
I will have to search how old they start.
I think she is maybe twenty weeks.

Yeah, it can be hard to decide to crack them, because they look unreal. Another option would be to blow it out and keep the shell, but then you wouldn't get as good a look at the contents. I got a double yolker a few days ago, but the egg looked normal sized. It seems like my individual hens can lay varying shades within the same bird. Sometimes the egg itself will have varying colors where it looks like differences in minerals/pigments occurred as it was forming. Sometimes I get speckles, too.
I have had a couple double yoke eggs since I started this circus. Never a huge egg though.
I was hoping to be able to distinguish which egg belongs to which hen by the color. I guess that is not a sure thing.
I do not want anymore EE or RIR and no more Sussex.
I guess I will have to figure a way to isolate the Brahmas and Orpington for a while when I get ready to try to hatch a few more birds.

Back
Top Bottom