WTH is wrong with my chicken?

Lazyhead

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Ypsitucky
She's a Buff Orpington. About 2 years old. She's one of two left from my original flock of 5. She had a prolapsed cloaca last year but we fixed her up and she was fine and has been a consistent layer with no problems until recently.

There's something wrong with her but I'm not sure what. She sits in the henhouse too much. I always take this as a bad sign. Her butt is dirty but not particularly poopy. It looks irritated but not prolapsed at all. She seems a bit skinny. I gave her a warm bath and massage and a night in the chicken hospital last week (cat carrier in the garage - clean dark space, water) and put a little preparation H on her bum because it seemed a tiny bit swollen and irritated. She passed a weird soft egg the next day and seemed fine until yesterday she started back up with the henhouse sitting again. She has not laid any eggs. I have been feeding her meals of cooked egg yolks, oatmeal, yogurt & greens which she eats but not all of it.

What gives? I'd like to help her but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank you!

OK now her bum is covered with green poo.
sad.png

Quote:
I was worried about that before so I gently flushed her out last week. All kinds of stuff came out but no cracked shell or anything like that. Should I try that again?

Last edited:
Quote:
Well it looks like the yogurt would help with that. I guess she does smell a bit funky. Her crest is a bit dry and floppy too. My daughter is holding her and she is having success giving her pedialyte water and bits of watermelon. I need to look into cent gleet a little more as the symptoms seem vague. . .

Quote:
Well it looks like the yogurt would help with that. I guess she does smell a bit funky. Her crest is a bit dry and floppy too. My daughter is holding her and she is having success giving her pedialyte water and bits of watermelon. I need to look into cent gleet a little more as the symptoms seem vague. . .

Birds can show some or all of the following symptoms:

Depression
Loss of energy
Rough feathers
Diarrhea
Distended sour crop
Slow growth
Weight loss
Decreased hunger and increased thirst
Soiled vent feathers
White sores near the vent
Loss of feathers near the vent
Reddened or swollen vent tissue
Gray powdery or black waxy substances on the vent
Very bad smelling droppings
Patches in the throat that look like yeast or wax
Unexplained laying problems
Swollen vent

Well she certainly has:
Lost weight
Seems depressed
Diarrhea
Decreased hunger. . .doesn't seem extra thirsty however
Soiled vent feathers
White sores. . .maybe sores. Kind looks a bit powdery.
Stinky
Swollen vent

OK. So I guess we're going with vent gleet. I suppose it makes sense as it seems to be caused by weakened cloaca muscles and she was prolapsed last year.

Well she's certainly a lot worse. No eating, no drinking, floppy comb, now seems to have a lump on her cheek that wasn't there a day or two ago. I've been trying to feed her egg yolks & oatmeal & yogurt but she will eat nothing.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom