Wwyd?

Looking4ewes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
My chicks had a shaky start, with losing half of them due to a heat lamp failure. I purchased replacements at TSC, just a couple days older than the small chicks. A few chicks have developed pasty butt, a condition I am not familiar with. Also, one of the TSC chicks has started sneezing. Last year, I had a terrible time with CRD on a batch of chicks, losing 90%. Should I euthanize them all and start over again? Should I give it a couple weeks, treating with antibiotics and electrolytes? Other than the sneeze and pasty butt, all chicks are acting normal. I'm a bit discouraged and don't know what to do.

I don't know about the CRD or sneezing. We have random sneezes from time to time but never anything consistent, widespread or fatal. As to the pasty butt, have you tried any grit? We add sand or dirt to the chick starter for any artificially brooded birds and it seems to help. At least we haven't had any problems with pasty butt since we started doing it.
hu.gif

I'm guessing you are on this thread instead of the illness injury thread because these chicks are meat bird chicks? not that it matters to me, it's just that they have a lot more answers for this type of question.
But I will do my best; if they are meat bird chicks getting pasty butt something is need of fixing becasue they aren't too prone to that. Poopy butts yes, but not pasty butts.
first check your water situation - meat birds drink A LOT of water and should never be allowed to run out.
second you may now giving them too much heat, this can cause the poopies to dry out to fast and they poop A LOT.
third I would give a bit of molasses in their next water
and fourth like someone said before chick grit may help

as for sneezing, how hold are these chicks? If it's only one I would pull that one out and watch the situation, I have not heard of CRD in chicks young enough to get pasty butt . . . but often you can get a chick/chicken in the batch who just sneezes.

I posted the thread here because this is where I hang out, but my apologies if inappropriate. The chicks are 7 - 10 days old. There are 20 meat birds, and 5 buffs.

I don't know the difference between pasty butt and poopy butt. Some chicks had some poop build-up on the butt. I washed them today and will observe.

I am using a 1 gallon waterer and check it often. I will add molassas to it, and grit to the food. I'm a little hesitant to lower the heat, as it has become quite cold recently. It will get down to 16 degrees tonight. The chicks have plenty of room to self-regulate.

Thanks for your help!

pasty butt is where it dries and sticks to the point that they can't really go any more, this needs to be taken care of - just pull the yucky part off carefully, this usually takes the offending fuzz with it . . . then you have bald butt! At the age your chicks aret hisis probably the problem, but they should out grow it soon. Poopy butt . . . lol just wait another month and you will see!
Sounds like you have the water and lights down good so at this point I would say keep going forward!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom