Wyandotte’s and egg issues

MamaAyam

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
7EF00C9A-29FA-4E36-A2C8-F4E0382942C1.jpeg
C64A81DA-F1F8-4A4A-833F-55BA1DEE53E3.jpeg

I have three Wyandotte’s that are seven months old and just coming into lay. This is my first experience with Wyandotte’s. We have caught two of these hens laying soft eggs. I’m wondering if this is a breed thing. Anyone else notice their Wyandotte’s having these issues. Is it just because they are young and still developing?
This last one has me concerned, I just happened to notice her doing the laying stance but it was strange because she was in the yard and not the nesting box. (In my experience they are going to lay a soft egg when they lay out in the yard like that.) Then she passed (Squirted) yoke.:( I started paying closer attention! Thinking she had a broken egg inside and knowing what that can mean. I took a closer look and saw that it was a soft egg that had just burst while I was watching. The soft “shell” Was still mostly in but after she tried for a couple of minutes to pass it, it started to pull back. She let me get close so I gently pulled and she started pushing again and a very weird soft shell can out. There was what looked like egg white at the very end with no shell around it. So I’m still concerned she has some left in there. Thoughts?

I’m more interested in knowing if this is a Wyandotte issue. Because we are moving to another state and will be getting all new chickens. So I don’t want to get them again if that’s the case. I do love how pretty they are. :love

I’m more interested in knowing if this is a Wyandotte issue. Because we are moving to another state and will be getting all new chickens. So I don’t want to get them again if that’s the case. I do love how pretty they are. :love
They are beautiful birds, I have two. But yes most of my chickens laid some eggs without a shell at all! I searched around and it is normal.

I have several different wyandottes (silver-laced, blue, blue-laced red) and have not noticed any tendencies toward soft shelled eggs. I would think this is more due to them being the same age and just beginning to lay. Like @neo71665, I would look at what you are feeding them--have you switched them to lay pellets yet? Put out some oyster shell for them. They will eat it if they need it.

My GLW has never laid a soft shell. What are you feeding and do they have access to oyster shell?
Good to know your girls aren’t guilty of this. It gives me hope. Yes they do have oyster shells. And I’m feeding a layer feed. We have two Americanas and two golden commets as well. We haven’t seen any soft or strange shells from them since we started giving oyster shells. Our two GLWs and one BLW are the last to start laying so they have had the oyster shells longer but still soft eggs.:idunno The BLW was the first to start laying out of our Wyandotte’s and she had the first soft shell. But now she seems good. And their hard shells seem good too. I’m hoping it’s just because they are still developing or maybe a diet thing because I do like the breed.

Never had any egg issues with my SLW (I had many over the years).

Maybe they lack the proper amount of calcium+vitamin D3 +K in their feed that would be necessary for a strong eggshell?

You could dry the eggshells and then crush and feed them back to your hens. Some chickens don't like oyster shells.

Last edited:
Never had any egg issues with my SLW.

Maybe they lack the proper amount of calcium+vitamin D3 +K in their feed that would be necessary for a strong eggshell?

You could dry the eggshells and then crush and fee them back to your hens. Some chickens don't like oyster shells.
I haven’t been picky about which feed the Hubby brings home. I’ve noticed that it’s different every time from the previous bag. I was kinda wondering how many different brands of layer feed :popthere were. In the last country we worked in there was only one layer feed and it had antibiotics in it so I feed my layers a game feed and tried to supplement what I thought they were missing. They did ok but not great. :confused:
I have a bunch of dried eggshells. I think I’ll crush them up and throw them out there for good measure. I’m still crossing my fingers:fl for Whiny (the hen that laid the weird egg) (kids named her, she not a complainer) I hoping for a normal egg tomorrow.

I’m feeling encouraged.:highfive: With y’all’s responses I think it’s safe to try Wyandotte’s again. I will do a better job looking into the feed. We will be in a more permanent spot so that should help. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom