Wyandotte Bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Cindy in PA, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Yardegg

Yardegg In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Parke County, Indiana
    Dear Newegg,

I have about a dozen or so Partridge Wyandotte bantams from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They are very healthy and tame. HOWEVER; they are NOT show quality. Their coloring isn't too bad, but all of them are too tall (ie. long legged) and have incorrect tails, often called "bunny tails." This is a problem in Wyandotte bantams in general, but judges spot them right away. [​IMG] I went to the Central Indiana Poultry Show last Saturday and saw some excellent birds. I only saw one Wyandotte hen with a halfway decent tail -- not up to standard, but a step in the right direction. From the rear, most Wyandottes look like clean-legged Cochins due to their powder puff shaped tails. If you look at a photo or drawing of an "ideal" Wyandotte, it should look more like a Plymouth Rock with a rose comb. As for pets, I like them a lot. Hope this helps.

Yardegg

2. FlyingMonkeyPoop, I'm interested for this Spring...

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Mine from Meyer hatchery, the pullets are decent--shorter legs and tail. The 2 cockerals have a little too long of legs and the tail is little "cochin" like but not as bad as the rooster from a breeder. They've definetly made improvements over what they were 5 years ago. I've seen some good columbian and silver laced wyandotte bantams.

4. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Songster

Dec 18, 2007
    Go to BlueLacedRed.com it will explain the 3 different colors Splash Blue laced and a beautiful black with red lacing.

5. Yardegg

Yardegg In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Parke County, Indiana
    Overrun,

Can you post a couple of pictures of the Meyer Hatchery Wyandottes? I'd like to see how they compare to McMurray's. I haven't mastered the technique of posting pictures myself, but I need to learn.

Thanks,

Yardegg

6. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Reviving this old thread on Wyandotte Bantams. I currently have both Buff and Black Wyandotte Bantams.

We currently have a dozen Buff Wyandotte Bantam eggs ready to ship today!

PM for details!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Come on folks... post your photos of your Wyandotte Bantams!

8. Ryan521

Ryan521 Chirping

Feb 22, 2012
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I have a pair of partridge wyandotte bantams and they've been really good temperment wise so far. No eggs yet though. You can see the roo in my avatar pic.

9. Ryan521

Ryan521 Chirping

Feb 22, 2012
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    OK since no one else will here's mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Songster

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    Does anyone know where to get Wyandotte bantams in Northern colorado? I've been searching around an d have not bee successful so far. I appreciate the help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: