Wyandotte Bantams

Cindy in PA

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I would like to add some bantams in the spring & I am thinking about Wyandottes. Would love some Columbian, but any kind would do. I like the GLW & SLW too. Can anyone tell me any local breeders or decent ones from hatcheries? If anyone has bantams of this breed, how is their egg laying? I want bantams just to add something different and to do so without gobs of eggs and lots of extra feed! I have 11 regular hens that give us enough eggs+! Thanks.

I have 2 pair of BLRw Bantams they are the most beautiful chicken I have ever seen and you can get 3 colors when you breed them, really are eye candy!!!!

I have partridge wyandotte bantams. They are very easy going, lay decent and some of the hens go broody. They are the least broody bantams I've ever had. Extra roosters get along well. They seem to enjoy each other's company.

Meyer hatchery in Ohio has the partridge wyandotte bantams. Not sure if you can order them seperate, never hurts to ask tho.

Wow, sounds like people like the Wyandotte bantams. I have had chickens for 15 years, but can only have 12 in my coop and I just thought bantams would be fun and take up less room & food. I am planning on making a swingset into a chicken coop and tractor to just keep a few. The coop part will be about 5 by 7, so how many could I keep? I thought of things like sebrights & dutch, but thought Wyandottes would be a little more winter hardy.

Ms.LewisRich, what three colors do you get from BLRWs, red, blue & blue laced? Can anyone tell me where I can get some info on this breed? Doesn't seem to be much online for standard or bantams. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:
That's the breed I'll end up having when I go back to only one flock, someday...nice meaty birds, broody, great mothers, eggs, less feed for more birds...can't say enough good things about them, but I still love the BO's, too and my geese...heck, I'll never just have one flock:p

I have wyandotte bantams in white, silver laced, and dun laced. I have had the whites for 4 years or so and never had a hen go broody but then there are the silver laced that will go broody at 8 months old. I have 2 BLR hens that I cross to the silver laced and keep the silver laced hens for my dun laced project. It seems that every female from the BLR hens sets like there is no tomorrow.
I will have eggs in the spring if you would be interested. As far as hatcheries I noticed that Ideal has several varieties of wyandotte bantams and I think I saw columbian or buff columbian on their site this spring.

Back
Top Bottom