Wyandotte Chickens

Oh, those pullets are not Silver Laced. I see that several of us made a wrong assumption. Pictures definitely help :)

Those pullets look like Splash (as in, Splash all over, which is a genetically black chicken with two copies of the blue gene.)

I think the rooster looks like Splash Laced Red.

Crossing those splash pullets to the rooster will probably give just splash chicks, looking like their mothers. There is a chance of the chicks having leakage of red or gold in their feathers as they grow up (most likely in the breasts of daughters and the shoulders/wings of sons.)

The solid blue pullet should produce almost the same chicks as the splash pullets, except that half of her chicks will be blue instead of splash.

Gentically:
When considering just the blue gene, splash x splash = splash.
Blue x splash = half of chicks blue, half of chicks splash.

When considering the other genes, crossing a solid black chicken to a laced chicken will usually give a solid black chicken. So the chicks will have the genes for solid black, carry but not show the recessive genes for a laced pattern, and will have their "solid black" diluted to blue or splash.
Sorry,,, I bought 2 black laced silver pullets. I was wanting to breed 1 flock back to Blue Laced Red and I'm just gonna see what is interesting of the culls I thought I've never seen a blue barred bird ?

Sorry,,, I bought 2 black laced silver pullets. I was wanting to breed 1 flock back to Blue Laced Red and I'm just gonna see what is interesting of the culls I thought
Oh, that makes sense.

I've never seen a blue barred bird ?
You could look for pictures of Blue Cuckoo Marans, since they are moderately common. Example:
https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Blue-Cuckoo-Marans-Day-Old-Chicks-p212598964

Sometimes the white barring is easy to see, other times not. I don't know what makes the difference.

Back
Top Bottom