Wyandotte Chickens

Prisner

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2024
I have some splash laced roosters and only 1 black laced hen and 2 silver hens . Has anyone crossed the same splash to silver combination enough to give me a idea what the chicks will look like ?

Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Splash laced roo.. is splash laced red/gold, correct?

The black laced is going to be black laced red/gold also?

The silver laced will be black laced silver.

So the black laced hen will produce 100% blue laced red/gold offspring.

The silver laced ladies will produce sex linked offspring.. with boys being blue laced gold/red at hatch and gals being blue laced silver.

Chicks will look like standard blue laced red/gold Wyandotte chicks or standard silver or golden laced Wyandotte chicks.

This is only me practicing as I'm far from expert.. I do wonder if @NatJ can confirm or correct these statements. TIA!

Blue laced silver looks pretty awesome, images from google..
1708904428257.png

1708904510470.png

I have some splash laced roosters and only 1 black laced hen and 2 silver hens . Has anyone crossed the same splash to silver combination enough to give me a idea what the chicks will look like ?

I am guessing you mean:
splash laced red (splash edges on the feathers, red in the middle of each feather)
black laced red (black edges on the feathers, red in the middle of each feather)
silver laced (black edges on the feathers, silver/white in the middle of each feather: it really should be called black laced silver, but that's not the name it was given.)

If those are what you have, crossing the Splash Laced Red rooster to a Black Laced Silver hen will give daughters with blue lacing and red or gold in the middle of their feathers (Blue Laced Red or Blue Laced Gold.)

The sons will be Blue Laced Silver (blue lacing on the edges of the feathers and silver in the middle of each feather), but the "silver" will probably be a bit yellowish, and there will probably be some areas where red appears as well, especially in the shoulders & wings.

Crossing Splash Laced Red with Black Laced Red will give Blue Laced Red.

This is only me practicing as I'm far from expert.. I do wonder if @NatJ can confirm or correct these statements. TIA!
I was typing a response at the same time as you, but you got it posted faster :)

The silver laced ladies will produce sex linked offspring.. with boys being blue laced gold/red at hatch and gals being blue laced silver.
You have that backward. Yes, sex-linked offspring, but the daughters have the gold/red color from their father, and the sons show the silver from their mother. And the "silver" may not be a nice clean silver: photos of Red Sexlink roosters are a good example of how much yellow/gold/red can be visible on a "silver" chicken who has one red parent.

I agree, it is really pretty :)

Yes that's exactly what I meant! It's been a busy weekend. My goal is to get back to Blue laced Red and and the same time a 2nd Flock Black laced silver . I'm know it's cheaper to just buy them from a hatchery lol I'm disabled and don't do much else than hobby farm . I have some crosses with my splash rooster and barred rock hens and something called Saffire gems it's funny all the barred hens male chicks was barred . But they were hatched at the same time as the saffire eggs so I don't know what to make of the pullets 1 is solid blue 3 are white but black spotted here and there and 1 pullet looks like a blue laced red but mostly red with very little blue . Thank you for your response!

I am guessing you mean:
splash laced red (splash edges on the feathers, red in the middle of each feather)
black laced red (black edges on the feathers, red in the middle of each feather)
silver laced (black edges on the feathers, silver/white in the middle of each feather: it really should be called black laced silver, but that's not the name it was given.)

If those are what you have, crossing the Splash Laced Red rooster to a Black Laced Silver hen will give daughters with blue lacing and red or gold in the middle of their feathers (Blue Laced Red or Blue Laced Gold.)

The sons will be Blue Laced Silver (blue lacing on the edges of the feathers and silver in the middle of each feather), but the "silver" will probably be a bit yellowish, and there will probably be some areas where red appears as well, especially in the shoulders & wings.

Crossing Splash Laced Red with Black Laced Red will give Blue Laced Red.

I was typing a response at the same time as you, but you got it posted faster :)

You have that backward. Yes, sex-linked offspring, but the daughters have the gold/red color from their father, and the sons show the silver from their mother. And the "silver" may not be a nice clean silver: photos of Red Sexlink roosters are a good example of how much yellow/gold/red can be visible on a "silver" chicken who has one red parent.

I agree, it is really pretty :)

Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Splash laced roo.. is splash laced red/gold, correct?

The black laced is going to be black laced red/gold also?

The silver laced will be black laced silver.

So the black laced hen will produce 100% blue laced red/gold offspring.

Chicks will look like standard blue laced red/gold Wyandotte chicks or standard silver or golden laced Wyandotte chicks.

View attachment 3757376
View attachment 3757378
Them are pretty !

I have some crosses with my splash rooster and barred rock hens and something called Saffire gems it's funny all the barred hens male chicks was barred.
Yes, a Barred Rock hen with that rooster would give sexlinks, with barred sons and not-barred daughters.

But they were hatched at the same time as the saffire eggs so I don't know what to make of the pullets 1 is solid blue 3 are white but black spotted here and there and 1 pullet looks like a blue laced red but mostly red with very little blue.
If they all had the Splash Laced Red father, and the possible mothers are Barred Rock or Sapphire Gem:
--solid blue pullet could come from either mother
--white with black spots are probably Splash, and have the Sapphire Gem mother (not splash laced, just splash all over)
--the one that is mostly red with a little blue would have the Sapphire Gem mother

If you post photos of the ones that are white with black spots, someone here could tell if they are actually splash, or if they are something else (the shape and location of the spots can tell a lot.)

Last edited:
Yes, a Barred Rock hen with that rooster would give sexlinks, with barred sons and not-barred daughters.

If they all had the Splash Laced Red father, and the possible mothers are Barred Rock or Sapphire Gem:
--solid blue pullet could come from either mother
--white with black spots are probably Splash, and have the Sapphire Gem mother (not splash laced, just splash all over)
--the one that is mostly red with a little blue would have the Sapphire Gem mother

If you post photos of the ones that are white with black spots, someone here could tell if they are actually splash, or if they are something else (the shape and location of the spots can tell a lot.)
I don't know how to post photos? I'm ashamed to say lol

I don't know how to post photos? I'm ashamed to say lol
There is a whole row of little icons at the top of the box I'm typing the reply in, and when I move my mouse cursor over them they pop up a text explanation. One of them says "insert image." It's sitting between what looks like some links of chain, and what looks like a camera. If I click on it, there's a spot to drag-and-drop an image. I think that's what I did last time I needed to post an image (I don't do images very often either, so I had to bumble around clicking things to figure out how :) )

Here is the rooster the 3 light and the solid blue pullet .I hope it works this time ! I have to use my phone.
Oh, those pullets are not Silver Laced. I see that several of us made a wrong assumption. Pictures definitely help :)

Those pullets look like Splash (as in, Splash all over, which is a genetically black chicken with two copies of the blue gene.)

I think the rooster looks like Splash Laced Red.

Crossing those splash pullets to the rooster will probably give just splash chicks, looking like their mothers. There is a chance of the chicks having leakage of red or gold in their feathers as they grow up (most likely in the breasts of daughters and the shoulders/wings of sons.)

The solid blue pullet should produce almost the same chicks as the splash pullets, except that half of her chicks will be blue instead of splash.

Gentically:
When considering just the blue gene, splash x splash = splash.
Blue x splash = half of chicks blue, half of chicks splash.

When considering the other genes, crossing a solid black chicken to a laced chicken will usually give a solid black chicken. So the chicks will have the genes for solid black, carry but not show the recessive genes for a laced pattern, and will have their "solid black" diluted to blue or splash.

Back
Top Bottom