Wyandotte growth?

kitchwitch

Songster
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Greensburg, Pa
In my flock of 21 chickens I have three Silver Laced Wyandottes, two of which are smaller than the rest of the chicks. One of these two is substantially smaller (golf ball on legs) than the rest of the chicks. I had taken her out for a few days and now she's really brightened up and is back in with the other chicks. She is literally half the size of rest of them but she isn't picked on at all and is able to get to the food and water. She was even able to get a cricket when I gave them their 'treat' this week. As far as feather development, she's just as far along as the other two SLWs, but not as far along as the rest of the flock. The chicks are just over a week old and I wanted to know if anyone else had experience with tiny SLWs.
Do they typically grow slowly?

Wish i knew an answer for you but i do know that some just grow slower than others. As long as she is eating well i don't think i would worry. I have 11 2 wk. olds and some seem a lot smaller than others. Good Luck

I don't know the diference besides the color, but I have 3 Goldenlaced Wayandottes and I had one that was slow in growth in feathers and in size but she ended up growing happy and healthy.
smile.png

I have 25 1 week old Wyandottes and even within the varieties they are all feathering and growing at different rates. Some have half feathered wing and others are just sprouting feathers on their wings. They were all hatched on the same day but they definitely differ chick to chick.

Back
Top Bottom