wyandotte hen with single comb?

Wyandottes have Cochin ancestry so you sometimes will get a single comb, sometimes will have a few feather stubs pop up. Most folks who are "breeders" got their original stock from a hatchery and have no idea how to improve them; in other words, they are not breeders, but propagators, so you are still buying hatchery stock. Seems almost 1/4 of hatchery Wyandottes have single combs from what I've been able to tell.

thank you for the great info! :)

Wyandottes have Cochin ancestry so you sometimes will get a single comb, sometimes will have a few feather stubs pop up. Most folks who are "breeders" got their original stock from a hatchery and have no idea how to improve them; in other words, they are not breeders, but propagators, so you are still buying hatchery stock. Seems almost 1/4 of hatchery Wyandottes have single combs from what I've been able to tell.

ooooh! I didn't know that! And to think, I have been chasing Jasmine around the yard like a mad person trying to get a picture of the one little blue leg feather on her left leg so I could ask about it! Thanks speckledhen!

This sounds a lot like my hen Duck (a Dominique). Dominiques are supposed to have rose combs but Duck doesn't. One of the users on here said that she may have been accidentally crossed with a Barred Rock which would explain the normal barred coloring but a single comb.

Your Wyandotte may have been crossed with a breed that looks similar to her, or as the above comments are noting, her Cochin blood may have shown through.

Yea I've hatched out tons of Gold laced wyandottes of my own & as far as I know they aren't from a hatchery....they have great lacing & form and I usually only hatch maybe 1 single comb in each hatch of 30-40 chicks

Yeah, it happens. I have some very nice Silver Laced Wyandotte Standard size birds and I had one hatch that had a straight comb. Its just the recessive gene.

I have also heard that having a straight comb in your line from time to time helps with fertility. I have no evidence that this is true, just something I have heard.

Back
Top Bottom