Wyandotte Leg color

Your first cross may or may not produce yellow legs. It depends on the genotype of the black or blue (black legs) chickens. If the black leg birds carry two extended black genes then all of the chicks will have black legs. If the black legs carry one extended black and a brown gene then some chicks will have black legs and some will have yellow legs.

I have a degree in Biology and Chemistry and have been teaching Biology for 25 years. I have the education that allows me to see the whole picture concerning genetics. I have been working with chickens for 8 years doing experimental crossings and developing characteristics in chickens. I spend at least an hour a day reading, analyzing and writing about research papers on chicken genetics.

Tim

As far as the brown gene. How about Silver Laced Wyandottes? I have a bunch of greys that have the darker legs. Want to get the yellow legs with the grey. Would that work?

This is an old thread but maybe someone will see it. I have a gold laced rooster who had nice yellow legs. Now that he has fully matured and started chasing hens I've noticed that the backs of his legs are very red! Has anyone seen this. I haven't noticed it on the hens.

Back
Top Bottom