Wyandotte question

Gttteacher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
I purchased these two roosters to breed to my silver laced wyandottes and all that the owner could tell me is that they were wyandottes. I've been researching and they seem to be blue wyandottes, but they have some red behind the wing--not very much. I'm wondering if they have some red laced blue in their background--or if there is some other breed mixed in. Here is the picture again.

I would appreciate any information anyone has.

They shouldn't be Wyandotte as they have single combs. Wyandotte can sport a single comb now and then but two roosters with them is suspicious.

It looks as though they have yellow in the legs so my guess would be Blue Rocks.

They don't look like Wyandottes to me, as they have single combs. Probably Blue Plymouth Rocks or Orpingtons. Beautiful birds, though!

Single combs are dominant so these boys could be split rose comb and single meaning one of the parents was Wyandotte. You'll know when you hatch chicks from these crossed with Silver Laced Wyandotte hens if any of the offspring are rose comb. Would be 50% rose comb if they are split, if not then all single combs.

If you take a male from that hatch and put over the mothers again you'll end up with 50% Blue Laced Wyandottes. As in 50% will be rose comb and 50% of the resulting colors will be blue laced. Regardless of color as blue breeds result in blue, black and splash, half the offspring will have proper combs to continue with. The lacing will be very nice on the blues and feather type will be corrected with the two matings on mother. As in Wyandotte are a fluffier bird.

These males have a Wyandotte fluffy feather look. They are likely a split, one of the parents was a Wyandotte.

Last edited:
I was really excited when I got them--thinking I could breed wyandottes. Is a blue rock in the plymouth rock breed? Is there any sex-linkage crosses possible. I am really looking forward to showing my students how color of chick can indicate gender.

I was really excited when I got them--thinking I could breed wyandottes. Is a blue rock in the plymouth rock breed? Is there any sex-linkage crosses possible. I am really looking forward to showing my students how color of chick can indicate gender.

I bet they are genetically split for rose comb. So take a blue male from this hatch with rose comb and next year put back over the mothers to have all rose comb chicks. I was wrong about half being blue laced in this second mating as the Silver Laced comes into play but 1 in 16 will be blue laced roosters and 1 in 16 blue laced pullets.

If you wanted to use a feather pattern for sex link then you can put one of these over a Barred Rock hen and the resulting chicks with white dots on head will be males. The white dot on head denotes the barring gene which only the males have with this cross.

Back
Top Bottom