Wyandotte stopped laying

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
Ok yall. I have a Wyandotte Bantam. She's laid 3 eggs. That was over a month ago. I haven't found any eggs in the yard. And they've all been locked in the coop for a few days and haven't found any in there. She's getting raped on a daily basis so I figured she be laying. What could be wrong with her?

Not getting enough Protein? Calcium? Too hot? Too crowded? Egg eater? Stressed out? Hours of light? How old is she? There could be many factors. What are the coop conditions like as far as the number of chickens vs roosters. Are they all bantams or are there larger breeds in with her. I think there are some illnesses that can interrupt egg laying as well. I have had bantam golden lace wing Wyandottes as well for a year now. I got 3 of my hens as chicks. It took them 25 weeks before they started laying. One of them lays every other day and late at night at that. She is confused but sweet.

Not getting enough Protein? Calcium? Too hot? Too crowded? Egg eater? Stressed out? Hours of light? How old is she? There could be many factors. What are the coop conditions like as far as the number of chickens vs roosters. Are they all bantams or are there larger breeds in with her. I think there are some illnesses that can interrupt egg laying as well. I have had bantam golden lace wing Wyandottes as well for a year now. I got 3 of my hens as chicks. It took them 25 weeks before they started laying. One of them lays every other day and late at night at that. She is confused but sweet.
They get layer pellets, baked eggshells, oyster shell, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded carrots and shredded cabbage. So the protein and calcium should be covered .

I haven't seen her eat any eggs other than the shells.

She seems happy. I've never see her by herself or in the coop alone, so I wouldn't think she's stressed.

It's spring time and it doesn't get dark here until about 7:30.

She's about a year old.

I have a 12×12 coop I think. I didn't build it and I never measured it.

I have 1 Bantam rooster(I bought them together) and an Easter egger rooster.

:)

They get layer pellets, baked eggshells, oyster shell, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded carrots and shredded cabbage. So the protein and calcium should be covered .
Layer is usually the ~minimum 16% protein needed,
cut out all the other treats.
Being confined may have stressed her, so it can take more than a few days to get them laying again.

She's getting raped on a daily basis so I figured she be laying.
Do you mean she's getting 'mated'?
If your cock/erel is being too aggressive, you might consider isolating him way from the females.

I have 1 Bantam rooster(I bought them together) and an Easter egger rooster.

:)
If she is the only hen with 2 roosters I would say she may be stressed out from the imbalance and constant attempts by the roosters to mate. Usually I have 1 rooster per 8-15 hens. My bantams I keep separate and have 1 Roster to 4 hens. The easter egger is way to large for her little frame. She could get hurt.

Being confined may have stressed her, so it can take more than a few days to get them laying again.

If your cock/erel is being too aggressive, you might consider isolating him way from the females.
She's being mated. Lol I'm sorry. He doesn't seem aggressive I don't think. Not anymore than usual.

So the lettuce, tomato, etc are treats? I thought they'd be good for them. :(

Back
Top Bottom