wyandotte tails

farmerRyan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Central Maine
We have searched and searched for info on wyandotte tails and there is tons of conflicting information out there. We are trying to judge the best wyandotte we have. Which tail do you think it better?

Beautiful birds! All of the hens in the photos look to have equally good tails. As for the roosters, I would choose the top one (at least in terms of tail): the tail is wide and not pinched, which is desirable. However, if you're trying to choose your best male, don't just look at the tails. The whole body type matters.

From the pictures, I like the hens more. They are more balanced, in my opinion, and have nice head carriages and width of body. Their tails could be a little less pinched at the top, but are overall nicely wide and the correct shape.

The males' tails are wide, but they need more density of feather, especially the top one. They are a little long in the back and rectangular instead of being circular in shape.

Overall, I think you have some good birds. I would pick the top male over the bottom male, but any of the females over the males.

Last edited:
From the pictures, I like the hens more. They are more balanced, in my opinion, and have nice head carriages and width of body. Their tails could be a little less pinched at the top, but are overall nicely wide and the correct shape.

The males' tails are wide, but they need more density of feather, especially the top one. They are a little long in the back and rectangular instead of being circular in shape.

Overall, I think you have some good birds. I would pick the top male over the bottom male, but any of the females over the males.
I agree with everything you said.

Thanks! I see the picts dont show the body real well but they do have awesome round wide bodies. I'm just worried the tail in the first pict is too bushey.

Please keep the advice coming!

Back
Top Bottom