Wyandottes-lovers of this wonderfull breed come on

Quote:
They are some of the BLRW hens, just looked a little washed out in the pic. They were all still running together there because they were only 18-20 weeks old and I hadn't separated them yet. They were brooder buddies.

Quote:
I love your columbian. Did you hatch her or get her from a hatchery? She's very pretty.

Thank you! Mary is from McMurray Hatchery. She is now over 2 years old. And the poor thing is just finishing up molt... so looking kind of scraggly right now.

This is how our Mary got her name.... she is Mary Lincoln, because all our ladies are named for First Ladies..
wink.png
And this is how the real Mary Lincoln would look, if she had yogurt on her beak, if mean nose.
big_smile.png

MaryLincolnMary.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hippiehen, I agree! The Wyandottes are terrific birds! Very calm and friendly, love to forage, great egg layers. We lost Ida when she flew down from a barn beam into another beam and broke her neck, but Mary, Pat and Jackie are still with us. We ordered each of our original 25 pullet chicks separately, as opposed to getting a package. It was kind of expensive, but we have always been happy with our choices. Pat, our White Wyandotte, is a lap sitter, so if you sit anywhere near her, it doesn't take long for her to jump up to see what you're drinking or reading...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Ida is named for William McKinley's wife, Ida Saxton McKinley.

William McKinley ran against William Jennings Bryan. Bryan wanted the country to be on a silver standard, and McKinley was against that. So our SILVER Laced Wyandotte is Ida McKinley. Why didn't I name our Gold Laced Wyandotte, Ida? Because our Gold Laced was already named Jackie Kennedy, naturally.
wink.png

Those are some real cuties, ILOVEJOE! How is the potty training going?
lol.png

When our JBG was in the house (broody on a clutch of eggs) she would scratch at the slider door to go out to do broody poo! I thought that was terrific, but I like your idea better.
tongue.png

Last edited:
This thread has been incredibly helpful, as I'm strongly considering getting Wyandottes as my chickens. Is there anything that a newcomer should know specifically about Wyandottes that might not apply to other breeds?

Back
Top Bottom