wyoming

I posted this on another wyoming thread, but I also wanted to respond to you.
frow.gif

Hello to those neighbors in Wyoming and surrounding areas. We are north of Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Our older birds are buff Orphington, Easter eggers, and a few Wyandotte's (silver laced) and Australorps all from the feed store early this spring.
We are now hatching fools due to the unprecedented interest of my 12-year-old "chicken crazy" son in; chickens, chicken genetics, pretty colors, and delicious eggs. We hatched a bunch of Black Copper Marans, and out of the first 10, I think 4-5 may be pullets
fl.gif
Out of the next 25 or so, I am not at all sure yet but will certainly have a bunch of extra roos.
I currently have 10 Blue Copper Marans and about 30 Ameraucana eggs in the bators. We also have lavender, black, and blue Orpington eggs in the bators.
Lavender Orphington, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington, and a few cream Legbar eggs are on the way.
We are interested in having mainly Orphingtons, Marans and blue-green egg layers of any variety but especially Ameraucanas. I plan to maintain the adult flocks of around 12-14 laying hens of each variety and a few breeding roosters.
We are getting a bit better at high-altitude hatching, (6200 feet) and also having lot of fun with this.
We are studying life science this semester (we home school), and I have used the genetics of chicken coloration, and the "quitters in the bator" to teach both a bit basic genetics and embryology. Mainly, however, we just love chickens, and nothing is cuter or sweeter than baby chicks. My husband has the barbeque grill all warmed up and is waiting for any "culls" from the flock, although I would rather give (sell at cost?) the nicer birds that we do not keep to others who love raising chickens.
Any questions, comments, or friendships are always welcome.
love.gif

i just got done building an incubator and maybe next weekend get some eggs to test it out .is there an issue with elevation and hatching eggs? we have 20 chickens so far but dont see why a cpl more wont hurt ..lol plus cant wait to have the taste of a home grown chicken dinner...and info or tips on incubating would be helpful

Hi,

Yes unfortunately hatching at high attitude can be tricky. This is especially true if the eggs came from a lower altitude, and are then moved to high altitude for hatching.

This article should help you out a bit:.

http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...cubation/25-incubation-at-high-altitudes.html

I am still trying to perfect the right humidity and temps for hatching at 6200 feet. One thing I did find out was to take the red plugs out, the babies need extra oxygen here.

Happy hatching
jumpy.gif

Hey Peepin, very cute chicks.
love.gif

Cody is so beautiful, you are lucky. Be careful of the eagles and hawks up there. I had a hawk take a half grown silkie last week before we had the netting up
hit.gif
. I have now also hung CDs from the poultry netting and so far the hawks are staying away.
fl.gif

im getting the eggs local so im thinking thats a plus and im sure they will give me a few pionters so by saturday afternoon they should be in my incubator im going for just a dozen to see what will happen hopefully good luck but a interesting experiment non the less thanks for the info and help

Good luck and happy hatching.
jumpy.gif

I am expecting pipping tonight or tomorrow. Had another batch last night with a "stuck chick" I was up until 1:00 am with it, but it seems to be doing fine today
fl.gif

Thanks clucky,
I do enjoy it here, and yes it is a very beautiful area to live in. There are lots of hawks and eagles I live near the river.
hide.gif
we also have an Osprey nest near-by...good thing they only eat fish.
I am sorry about your Silkie.
hit.gif

Hi everyone...I am near Casper. I have a nice flock of laying hens and am just trying my hand at hatching some eggs. I had a 100% hatch on local eggs, but I am not sure what I will end up with the shipped eggs. I do have the humidity bumped up, more than I had it with the local hatch. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom