1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. southern oaks

southern oaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    my guineas free range during the day and go up at night. We have about 170 acres of woods around us and I want them to keep the ticks out of my yard. And besides that I love to watch them play, and chase each other around. they start calling about dusk and the hens start going in. They are the last to go in. And they are great alarms also.. Haven't had one leave here yet.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My guineas have never flown away [​IMG] they free range during the day and come back to the coop at night, every day.

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Because most people get them and raise them for pest/insect control... and they cover more ground and eat more pests/insects if they are free ranging all day and they are much happier loose than if they are penned up all the time. Not everyone's Guineas fly away (mine never have)... most people work with training them to roost in a coop at night, to come when called for treats, and to learn where "home" is so they don't roam too far or fly away.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine are bug police, though they seem to be slacking this year! I've never had any fly away, but if you get adults and don't 're-home' them properly they won't normally stay put.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My guineas also get really upset when I have to pen them up

6. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I am on 5 acres which is mostly wooded. I need the guineas to help with the tick problems we have around here.

I got my guineas as adults, 2 males and 1 hen, I then added another adult hen. Thanks to all the info I received from the experts here, I was successful in acclimating them to their new home, and in adding a new hen to the flock. They free range and so far have always come home. They come in and out of their pen many times throughout the day.

They are all from last summers hatching and I am finding that now as they are getting over that first year craziness, they are starting to settle down a lot more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by