Ya nodding at me?!?!

Sara Ranch

Songster
Jun 7, 2017
I have two khaki campbells. Very intelligent duckies. They are about 5-6 weeks old now. Have had them since they were 3 days old.

One of the ducks has started nodding his head/neck at me. I thought that was a mating thing? I have worked with the ducks to get them to drink water, to wash their face, and to go outside. Not once did I ever think to train them to say, "Yes momma."

It's probably too early to tell, but I am getting the impression these are both drakes. Their head is darkening as they loose their baby fluff.

The other khaki campbell is a bit bigger, but does not do the head/neck bob. The bigger of the two ducks loves the water, was the first to wash his/her face, her body, to go in the pool, to go bottoms up!

Both ducks have this quiet, Godfather, raspy noise. And then they look around like, "Who did that??" But I have read that khaki campbells are kinda quiet, but definitely HEARD.

So...
1. Is the duck flirting with me? Or is the duck being VERY respectful and nodding his/her agreement? The duck does it to the other ducks as well, not just to me. But I am the only human he/she does it to. And he/she will often make eye contact with me first, do it keeping eye contact, and then continue looking me in the eyes afterwards.

2. Is it normal for the khaki campbells to have that raspy Godfather voice? I really didn't even know that sound came from them until one of them did when I was holding it.

3. In general, the ducks don't like to be picked up or held. If they are doing something they shouldn't, I give them two warnings that I am going to pick them up if they don't stop. I tell you, I think the bigger duck - which rules the gang - actually was naughty so I would pick him/her up! Two warnings and the third time, I picked it up. Said if he/she did it again, I would put it in time out. Darn duck did it again - I picked it up - and it didn't fight me at all. Just stayed calmly there...whereas the time before, it struggled to get down. Is this duck being naughty on purpose cuz it secretly wants to be held??

I have two round rouens and they seem to bob their heads when they are excited in general. They do it most when they see me coming to let them out in the morning and when I get home from work. They also do it when an especially tastie treat is involved.

So maybe that duck is especially happy to see me? It's cute. The other ducks tilt their head sideways at me when I talk to them. Treat, or no treat.

Back
Top Bottom