y'all are gonna laugh at me

I'll have to look around and see what will work.....Tight on space indoors so that adds to the fun haha. No bathtub to use, and I have 7 dogs so I need to keep chicks safe. This will probably be the only chicks for quite some time so maybe I can use something for them that can be reused for another purpose later. :)
That is very wise. Likewise that is what I will be doing I got a 135 gallon stock tank that I plan on re using as a raised garden bed for Herbs in the Garden any more chicks I plan to get will be hatched under a broody.

Wow 7 dogs!? That must pretty amazing! Man I thought my TWO were handfuls haha.

Those puppy play pens are gonna be a good idea. You can line the bottom with a tarp of sorts along with their bedding. And storage totes are a rather easy setup as well. Back when I raised my first set of chicks 5 years ago and tight on space (and money🤣) I went to my local Walmart and picked up a clear storage tote worked just fine for me. I got 8 and two died. In fact I just saw some outdoor/indoor play pens for small animals at my Costco today along with some pretty big totes as well! Just keep in mind to have some sort of cover for the top to keep the little chicken floofs inside and safe from 7 wagging tails🤣 unless that isn't something your worried will happen. Although wandering chicks can be a hassle if I've ever heard of one😄

This will probably be the only chicks for quite some time so maybe I can use something for them that can be reused for another purpose later.
I used an extra large dog crate. I lined it with cardboard to keep the chicks from escaping through the bars and to help contain the mess.

You might have use for a dog crate.... :)

oh my, so 12-14 feet total? Would I need a few of these then and separate chicks?
You could probably get away with less square footage if they’re not fighting. But that’s the general recommendation. They do grow incredibly fast as you already have noticed!
As my chicks get older I put them outside during the day in a tractor that’s predator and chick proof. Then just bring them in at night to sleep, they don’t need as much room then inside. Of course depend on the weather conditions where you live! Good luck with them! It is a fun experience.😊

That is very wise. Likewise that is what I will be doing I got a 135 gallon stock tank that I plan on re using as a raised garden bed for Herbs in the Garden any more chicks I plan to get will be hatched under a broody.

Wow 7 dogs!? That must pretty amazing! Man I thought my TWO were handfuls haha.

Those puppy play pens are gonna be a good idea. You can line the bottom with a tarp of sorts along with their bedding. And storage totes are a rather easy setup as well. Back when I raised my first set of chicks 5 years ago and tight on space (and money🤣) I went to my local Walmart and picked up a clear storage tote worked just fine for me. I got 8 and two died. In fact I just saw some outdoor/indoor play pens for small animals at my Costco today along with some pretty big totes as well! Just keep in mind to have some sort of cover for the top to keep the little chicken floofs inside and safe from 7 wagging tails🤣 unless that isn't something your worried will happen. Although wandering chicks can be a hassle if I've ever heard of one😄
I'll venture out to the store tomorrow and see what I can find. My dogs are awesome, except for the puppy who is a "sweet demon" lol. I keep telling myself as some point she'll outgrow it ;). Definitely keeping the pups away from the chicks because my papillon is a great hunter and I don't trust her around them, and don't know how the others would behave (so no interaction while chicks are still tiny and easily injured). We've dealt with escape hamsters before, I'd rather not deal with escape chickens hahaha

You could probably get away with less square footage if they’re not fighting. But that’s the general recommendation. They do grow incredibly fast as you already have noticed!
As my chicks get older I put them outside during the day in a tractor that’s predator and chick proof. Then just bring them in at night to sleep, they don’t need as much room then inside. Of course depend on the weather conditions where you live! Good luck with them! It is a fun experience.😊
I'm in PA and it's 35 degrees right now, with snow on the ground. Yuck

Back
Top Bottom