y'all are gonna laugh at me

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
So new chicken mom here, got my chicks on Monday, got a "starter cage kit" that my feed store was selling.....and I'm now realizing just how quickly chicks get big and there is NO way they will fit in this cage for several weeks. SMH. It's a small wire cage with a litter pan....think small rabbit cage.

I'm going to need to figure out quickly the next indoor housing phase because they can't go outside for a while still (don't even have my coop yet and it's cold here). I'm sitting here shaking my head and laughing. Nothing like learning as you go! Happy to listen to any suggestions. thanks!

This will probably be the only chicks for quite some time so maybe I can use something for them that can be reused for another purpose later.
I used an extra large dog crate. I lined it with cardboard to keep the chicks from escaping through the bars and to help contain the mess.

You might have use for a dog crate.... :)

As far as Brooders go you can use a plethora of things! As above a puppy play pen. A rather LARGE cardboard box although some grimmice at those. Large totes that can be rather cheap anywhere you go. Kiddie pools with high edges. Some even use a spare bathroom bathtub. I personally went and got a galvanized stock tank. There are many many options to go for. Picking the one right for your birds needs is the only thing you really need to consider.

Here is an exmple of one. Many brands, around $50 on Amazon. You should figure about 2 sq feet per chick, that can carry them through around 6 weeks of age.😊
download (1).jpg

I'll have to look around and see what will work.....Tight on space indoors so that adds to the fun haha. No bathtub to use, and I have 7 dogs so I need to keep chicks safe. This will probably be the only chicks for quite some time so maybe I can use something for them that can be reused for another purpose later. :)
That is very wise. Likewise that is what I will be doing I got a 135 gallon stock tank that I plan on re using as a raised garden bed for Herbs in the Garden any more chicks I plan to get will be hatched under a broody.

Wow 7 dogs!? That must pretty amazing! Man I thought my TWO were handfuls haha.

Those puppy play pens are gonna be a good idea. You can line the bottom with a tarp of sorts along with their bedding. And storage totes are a rather easy setup as well. Back when I raised my first set of chicks 5 years ago and tight on space (and money🤣) I went to my local Walmart and picked up a clear storage tote worked just fine for me. I got 8 and two died. In fact I just saw some outdoor/indoor play pens for small animals at my Costco today along with some pretty big totes as well! Just keep in mind to have some sort of cover for the top to keep the little chicken floofs inside and safe from 7 wagging tails🤣 unless that isn't something your worried will happen. Although wandering chicks can be a hassle if I've ever heard of one😄

There are two coop/run combos I am looking at....But one has a decent sized coop and the run is too small, the other has an OK run but the coop is too small. So I may buy the first and then see if I can find someone to cut a hole in the side and add a run extension

Prefab coops?

Plan on reinforcing and expanding for sure.

Enjoy the chicken adventures! They are fun critters.

Back
Top Bottom