y'all are gonna laugh at me

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
So new chicken mom here, got my chicks on Monday, got a "starter cage kit" that my feed store was selling.....and I'm now realizing just how quickly chicks get big and there is NO way they will fit in this cage for several weeks. SMH. It's a small wire cage with a litter pan....think small rabbit cage.

I'm going to need to figure out quickly the next indoor housing phase because they can't go outside for a while still (don't even have my coop yet and it's cold here). I'm sitting here shaking my head and laughing. Nothing like learning as you go! Happy to listen to any suggestions. thanks!

We have all been there!😊
I have used many things for chick brooders. If you are brooding indoors, the collapsable puupy pens work pretty well and come in different sizes. How many chicks do you have?
I have 5 and am supposed to pick up the last 2 tomorrow (but may only get 1 since 6 may be easier to fit in the coop). 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Black Australorp and 1 Welsummer.......and supposed to get 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Barnevelder tomorrow. I have them in my laundry room now in the cage with a heat lamp. They seem content and cozy but will quickly hulk out of there lol.

As far as Brooders go you can use a plethora of things! As above a puppy play pen. A rather LARGE cardboard box although some grimmice at those. Large totes that can be rather cheap anywhere you go. Kiddie pools with high edges. Some even use a spare bathroom bathtub. I personally went and got a galvanized stock tank. There are many many options to go for. Picking the one right for your birds needs is the only thing you really need to consider.

As far as Brooders go you can use a plethora of things! As above a puppy play pen. A rather LARGE cardboard box although some grimmice at those. Large totes that can be rather cheap anywhere you go. Kiddie pools with high edges. Some even use a spare bathroom bathtub. I personally went and got a galvanized stock tank. There are many many options to go for. Picking the one right for your birds needs is the only thing you really need to consider.
I'll have to look around and see what will work.....Tight on space indoors so that adds to the fun haha. No bathtub to use, and I have 7 dogs so I need to keep chicks safe. This will probably be the only chicks for quite some time so maybe I can use something for them that can be reused for another purpose later. :)

Here is an exmple of one. Many brands, around $50 on Amazon. You should figure about 2 sq feet per chick, that can carry them through around 6 weeks of age.😊
download (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom