1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yanking Hen From Week Olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MakNat, Dec 20, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    They have a light. The Hen sounds congested. I'm afraid she'll make the chicks sick.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Ooh, that's a sticky situation. And one I've never been in. I'm really just replying to bring you back to the top of the list so someone else who knows more may see your post.

Here's what I think I would do if I were in your place. I think I would set up a brooder and bring the chicks inside. Of course that depends on what your weather is like. Ours is horrible right now! Very cold.

Then I would separate the momma hen from all of my other chickens so she can't pass this problem on.

And start a different thread about her to try and figure out exactly what is wrong with her, and what medications she needs. I'd be very specific about any symptoms that I had noticed, and maybe even post pics if they may be helpful.

Also, I'd keep a very close eye on the chicks. Chances are they have already caught whatever momma has. [​IMG]

Good luck, and I hope some real chicken health experts give you some more answers.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I agree with lauralou .....Place babies in a brooder and get mom isolated and figure out what she has.....then you can watch the chicks to see if they have it too. But she will have the care she needs as well; sick hens have trouble staying warm, so if you are in a cold climate, she needs to have help with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by