Yard bugs

Quote:
Our termites swarmed this spring. I carried buffy my hen out front and sat her down in front of the swarm where she ate to her hearts content. I had a few swarms in the back yard too and the young chicks took care of them. I sought out swarms and simply called them over!

They will eat those big palmetto bugs much to my surprize. I dont' have any in my yard anymore, not that they can scare up during the day anyway. I used to be able to move a log or tarp and find some for the girls.

They (the bugs) still come out at night and eat under the bird feeders. I keep saying I am going to collect them for my girls, I even got a bugarium to save them in but I havn't actaully done that yet.

The first thing the girls do when they are let out in the morning is run around their yard to see who's there to eat.

When I first put my chicks outside, they had ants eating their food, and drinking the water. Not anymore though. I have a feeling the ants didn't just leave on their own accord. Although i didn't see them eating the ants.

I found a big Cicada in the yard this mornig, almost dead. I throwed it in the coop and watched as a JG grabbed it up and swallowed it whole. I would have loved to had a bucket full. The others just watched, jealous of the big treat.

My chickens don't free range, but I bring the bugs to them. I must have picked at least 50 Japanese beetles off the grape vine into a jar of water and they were gone in under a minute with just my 4 chickens. They'll also eat potato beetles, cucumber beetles and tomato hornworms that I pick out of the garden. They know when I come from the garden to gather by the door and eat whatever is closed up in my hand. I love it!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to just enjoy watching them hunt! I can't really stop them from eating any bugs I think could be a problem anyhow and like someone said you don't ever hear of chickens free ranging and eating some troublesome bug and getting sick.

If I could trust my girls to leave my cucumbers and cantalope alone, I'd put them in the garden. There are tons of grasshoppers, roly polys and all kinds of bugs!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom