Yard infested with fleas!! :(

Mom3timz

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
Deep South
I'm picking up my chickens on Saturday --- what can we treat the yard (about 3/4 acre) with this afternoon? My dog had a serious infestation --- the Seresto collar wasn't working for the poor thing. Vet wants me to call Bayer to report. She was stunned at how many fleas he had. :(Had to get him on oral meds as well. Gotta get this under control ASAP!

It is toxic to fish and bees - not to be used indiscriminately. I would not allow birds on freshly treated areas. Dogs did not seem to be impacted, but it's better to err on the side of caution.

Just read the instructions, and the only recommendation is 'don't allow children or pets on treated areas until they are dry'. I'd wait a bit longer than that.

Just barnyard mix. :) But I'm excited. First time for chickens!
We got out chickens several Days ago. So the next day we got them we went to the store to go shopping. and I saw mealworms, so I Got them some and It was quite late to give them some so we waited until today. Earlier today I was making them get used to my voice, and hand feeding them! We are having trouble naming them all, But Ive made a poll an hour ago to name our first wyandotte. And a few days we are getting more chickens! :D

Here is a good write up on flea control: http://www.pestproducts.com/controlfleas.htm

I once had a horrible flea infestation after a raccoon had taken up residence under my deck. I couldn't walk outside without getting dozens of fleas on my legs within seconds. I had to special order the IGR product, but it was worth it. After two applications -- and booting the raccoon out -- the flea problem disappeared. I generally don't like using toxic products, but I felt it necessary in this case.

Back
Top Bottom