Yard Sale Find! Could it make a broody box?

ekemily

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Fairhope, AL
I found this rabbit hutch at a yard sale for $15! I'm a sucker for cages and bought it before I really even looked closely at it.
Once I got it home, I thought it might make a nice place for my broody hen to sit on some eggs. I've never had a broody hen or eggs for them to hatch. This will be my first attempt. The door is very secure plexiglass. It is very well built with pocket joints and everything. It is barely used and very clean.
Do you think this would make a good, safe place for her to sit on her eggs?
I'm going to make the following changes;
-replace the latch with something stronger
-reinforce the outside with hardware cloth
-remove the shelving (and the old parrot toy)
-add all the necessary items for a chicken... feed, water, etc.

The dimensions are 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 2 feet tall. Is this a large enough area to house a broody hen?
Also, should I put plywood on the side next to her nest? It will have two layers of wire about an inch apart... with the existing chicken wire and then hardware cloth.
for 15 bucks, I couldn't pass it up! Thanks

50621_hutch2.jpg

50621_hutch.jpg

Oh very nice! I haven't had a broody hen yet, but I don't see why you can't use it for that...or a isolation coop for new or sick chicks. Great find! I would probably wash it down good with a 10% solution of water and bleach or some sort of disinfectant, just in case!

Thanks guys.
However, I think I may have posted my question incorrectly. I'm wanting to put my full grown hen in there with the fertilized eggs for her to sit on for the necessary amount of time. I've never had a momma chicken sit on eggs and raise her own chicks
Do you think this is big enough for her until the babies hatch?

I think it will work very well. Give her the option of hopping out for a few minutes each day just in case she wants to but my broodies stay pretty glued to the nest. With food and water in there she should be happy as a clam. I would make her nest area feel as secluded as possible sither by plywood or some other protection. But all in all an awesome find.

thank you all for your suggestions.
I'll disinfect it and then make the nesting area nice and secluded so she can snuggle down.
I'm excited about having my first momma hen!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom