Yawning, thirsty, something else?

itsalladream

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Mobile, AL
My Coop
My Coop
I've read through several posts on this topic, but didn't really find a satisfactory answer, so I took a video. Also, these are my first foray into backward chickens, so I'm a total noob, besides what I've learned here.
She's about 6-8 weeks old, and was living with the other 5 when I got them. They all have easy access to water, and she's the only one doing this. She'll do it for several minutes and I've seen her have these 'sessions' half a dozen times over the past day. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I should add, I just got them yesterday, and she seems just as active as the rest.

Last edited:
It’s yneing motion,but usually chickens only yawn once or twice,my birds do it too a lot and have not been able to figure it out,I don’t think it’s yawning because who yawns for over ten times?

That is her adjusting her crop. How does her crop feel? Is it full and hard, empty, or full and puffy? Do you put out granite chick grit for them to help their gizzards digest their food?
They were getting it previously. I got some this evening and will include with their food tomorrow. Will also check her crop tomorrow and update.

That is her adjusting her crop. How does her crop feel? Is it full and hard, empty, or full and puffy? Do you put out granite chick grit for them to help their gizzards digest their food?
Her crop felt and appeared full, but it was soft. I added granite, and she seems to be doing it less now.

The next thing I'm dealing with is this one. I tried cleaning her eye up a bit this morning before work with a warm, damp towel. When I get home, I'm going to apply some neosporin. The spot above her eye is hard...seems to be matted feathers I believe. My wife watched her some and said she would open it a little, but is mostly keeping it closed.
5313619643549308217.jpg

It looks like it could have been pecked, but look for any bubbles or pus in the eye. Look for a foreign object in the eye, such as a piece of dirt or a seed. She looks a bit lethargic, so I would be concerned by it being a respiratory disease. They also act similar with coccidiosis. So keep a close eye on her and offer fluids from a small cup often, and mix a little bowl of feed with a lot of water to get more into her in case she cannot see well enough.

It looks like it could have been pecked, but look for any bubbles or pus in the eye. Look for a foreign object in the eye, such as a piece of dirt or a seed. She looks a bit lethargic, so I would be concerned by it being a respiratory disease. They also act similar with coccidiosis. So keep a close eye on her and offer fluids from a small cup often, and mix a little bowl of feed with a lot of water to get more into her in case she cannot see well enough.
There has been some reddish and runny stools, so I picked up some corid today. Thought some of it may have been intestinal lining, but there were some that clearly weren't.
I just treated this girl's eyes with some neosporin, so we'll see how that does. Additionally, I tossed a little millipede in there and she darted right to it, between a couple of the other girls, and defended her prize from would be thieves.

Back
Top Bottom