YAY, chicks have hatched..........HELP!!!!!

Put a clean, wet sponge or cloth in there. That will help boost the humidity. For a quick bump use a few sheets of wet kitchen roll or toilet paper. Make it wet, squeeze some of the excess water out and put it in there. But you need to keep dampening it as it dries out fairly quick. So put something wet in there for now and leave the chick a bit longer, so it can dry off, than remove it quickly. If you have a straw or something similar handy, try the wet toilet paper and place it under or near the ventilation hole, then you can top it up with water using the straw, instead of having to open the incubator.

I will do that. thanks for the quick reply. should the chicks be completely fluffy? this one is still pretty wet. I opened one of the vents for circulation and the hot water in the washer raised the humidity back up to 61%. Glad I stopped freaking out and thought of that. The chick that's out flopped all over the place and put a crack in one of the other eggs and I just see feathers sticking out. gonna go get a little temp brooder for the new baby!!!

Ideally you should let it dry off as much as possible before taking it out. What do you mean it put a crack in one of the other eggs? That doesn't sound good...

okay. i'm going to let her dry a little more. I got a roasting pan ready (don't judge me it's all I had available!) with shavings and water in case my husband doesn't wake up in time to bust out the brooder! I told him to do that yesterday!
I'm not 100% but I think that when she was flopping around she ran into the other eggs and they rolled into each other. THe reason I don't think it's the chick inside who pipped is because I don't see a beak, I just see feathers coming through a hole. WHen the first one pipped through, it was clear she did it with her little beak and it looked more like a crack, not a hole.

A roasting pan already? Aren't you going to wait for her to grow up a bit first?
wink.png
Just kidding! She'll be o.k. in the incubator for awhile, no rush, unless she causes more damage. Where on the egg is the crack? Fat end, thin end, middle?

That actually looks like a pip, but I could be mistaken. Keep an eye on it for now and when you take the dry chick out examine it quickly and see if you can spot a beak in there.

SUMI! I hope you are still online and see this! Or anyone else who can help. For some reason, after my first chick hatched (yayyyy!!!) my humidity dropped. and that little thing is flopping all over and is really loud, but not dry. When it's dry can I take her out? And as far as the humidity, it went from 64 down to 58...are my remaining chicks, 2 of 4 have piped, going to shrink wrap? I started the washer with hot water in hopes of raising the humidity again.

you can take them out when there completely dry and fluffy

The chick that had the possible pip, possible unintentional crack, didn't make it
sad.png
Out of the 5, 2 have hatched (
clap.gif
) One passed..poor little thing, and two aren't moving. today is exactly 21 days, should I let them be for another day? I saw all 5 wiggle when I put them in lock down. My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread! You had some of the same questions as me so I just posted here. When I removed the two feisty ones who decided to go bowling with the other eggs, the humidity and temp stayed stable so I don't want to just give up on the other two if there is still a chance...any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom