Yay! I got 2 new chicks! :)

chubbydog811

Songster
11 Years
Dec 24, 2008
New Hampshire
YAY! Today I went and picked up 2 little standard cochin chicks! They are the cutest little things!
Here are a few pics
wee.gif

The pics aren't very good, but the chicks were still recovering from the ride home (the toyota pick-up isnt really the best ride for little chickies this time of year), so I was trying to hurry along...Now I just need to wait for my 15 bantams to come in, and my hatching eggs to hatch!

Also, I'm really not all that familliar with the breed - other than that they are mainly a show bird - anything I might want/need to know? I assume they are just like any other chicken, other than the fact that the arent really good layers...

One other thing...They shake when I pick them up, but are fine when I put them down. Could it be they are too cold, or just still recovering from the trip?
I've already raised the temp in the bathroom, so I'm assuming its just stress...I think I just worry too much
smile.png

Chubby, my standard cochins lay 6 out of 7 days so don't write them off as bad layers yet!
clap.gif

mmm...we have 2 cochins; One is a bantam/Cochin, 5 months old, female, named Pumpkin(Buff color). We also have a Splash Cochin rooster.
This breed tends to go broody more than others. I don't know anything about egg laying really. These 2 are our first ones to raise.
Not sure why yours shake when picked up; maybe just stress, or they are scared?
Good luck and enjoy them! They are very cute!
big_smile.png

I almost think that they are to cold? They started doing it in their brooder, and they were huddling, and not moving much... They are 3 days old. I have a heater in there, and its pretty warm, but I'm thinking I probably just need to up the temp for a few days until they get used to a heater instead of a heat lamp...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom