Yay, I trained her!

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hi

Well one of my hens(the first of 3) I got is now trained.

What she can do:
I hold out my hand, and say up Peepers(her name) and she flies up!
Then she can also do this on a stick, or anything she can stand on! I'm so proud, of her. Took 1 week!

Share your training stories!

did you train her with food? I'd like to hear HOW people trained them.

My chickens stay out of the feed room even when I have the door wide open. (By ordering them out verbally and/or shooing them out if they even take one step in that direction.) It took many days/weeks, but now I know they can hear the tone of my voice and they look into the feed room but don't enter. I do have to "remind" them every once in a while. Is that considered training?

Mine are trained enough to know they're not supposed to sleep on their nest boxes. If I come in at night and they're on the nest box, they immediately hustle out of the box and hop over to the roost.

When I call them for treats, they come running like mad from all corners of the house and barn and pasture. I use one particular call and now I can use it occasionally for a non-treat event, like if I want them to get in their henhouse in the middle of the day, for example.

I'd like to know if they can be house-trained (potty-trained on newspaper for example).

when I whistle the whole flock comes running I just started this about a week and a half ago they will do anything for scratch (chicken crack)
big_smile.png

I sing to my chickens at the end of a free range day and clap..."chickies everywhere let's go to sleep" and they go running toward the hen house and get ready to roost.

It's SO cute!

This is all just too cute.
smile.png
And the sleep song is adorable!!

About training them to go on paper, I don't think so. I don't think they have "control" over it like that - or they wouldn't sell chicken diapers for house chickens (yes, they exist).

I have a few of my older hens trained and one roo.

The older hens lived in the house of course until they were almost 2 years old, so I think that had something to do with it. I sit down and call to them "come here, sit on mommas lap for a minute" and up they jump to have a set.
These 2 hens, know their names too.

My roo, he knows his name, so I call out to him "Murphy! Come see momma for a nap!" he comes running and stands next to me, I pick him up and he will lay on his back on my lap and nap for a few. I say "close your wittle eyes and take a rest" and he does! lol!

These 3 also know "wanna come in the house?" They go running to the door, and look at the door, then back at me with urgency "come on momma, open the door!"

They also let me know when they want out too, the hens will go to the door, and if im not in sight they will jump up against the door. Murphy will seek me out and and shoot me a look and go running to the door....he will do this frantically until i head for the door...almost like dogs wanting to go out, lol.

They are amazingly smart creatures!

Oh and they also love iced tea, I will pour them a small glass and they will jump and jump at me until i set it down for them......This was a bad move on my half, cos they will now seek out any glass of tea and drink out of it....even if it is YOURS!

Isn't that neat! What kinds of hens and roo do you have?

One of my chicken books claims chickens are as intelligent as chimps. And, they said clicker training was originated with chickens!

My hens are:
Mrs. B, she is a Silver Phoenix.
Shelby, she is an EE

My roo:
Murphy, he is an EE

I also have the rest of the flock:

Butterball, White crested black polish roo
Phoebe, Golden phoenix hen
Peaches, EE hen
Millie, Maggie & Molly, my Sultan hens
Sophie, white cochin hen
Smokey, blue cochin hen