Yay!! I'm a New Chicken Mama!

JenEgrrrL

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Pagosa Springs, CO
Hello All!

My name is Jen, and I’ve been fantasizing about being a Backyard Chicken Chick for a couple years now. I’ve spent many a session trolling BYC threads & soaking up all I could with every random wonder I’ve had! There always seems to be a thread relating to my random inquiries, and gloriously informational tangents that take me down such appreciated rabbit holes where I learn so much more with each obsessive session… I love this community! Last week I dove in on an inspired whim and acquired 10 lovely Ladies from a family that has teenagers who fell out of interest in their hen keeping, and then 1 super sweet (but utterly freaked out) Salmon Faverolles as a rescue from a separate moving family.

I am now the new and elated ward of the Salmon Faverolles, 3 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 RIR, 1 Isa Brown, 1 Buff Orp, 1 EE, and 1 slightly bossy but beautiful and statuesque Golden Laced Cochin!

All the ladies have great manners and were so quiet & polite on our 3 hour ride home, and the subsequent move into a very different but loving home (UPDATE: I now know, from pouring over tons of threads, that they were not polite but terrified- ha! Oh, how our perspectives can color what we think we know…). They’re all quite tame, friendly and have already begun to trust and enjoy my company. All of them seem happy with the new digs, except for the one Ameraucana. She seems depressed if I can be so presumptuous to diagnose a being I’m as yet unfamiliar with. She also seems to be the low gal on the totem pole, based on how she skitters from the other flock members when they come into close quarters. They don’t peck at each other much I can tell, because they’re all beautifully feathered and haven’t taken the strain of the move out on each other, so I’m very happy about that!

I was able to convert our raised 10'x20' shed into a totally do-able chicken hotel, and this week and ongoing, it will be further upgraded into the perfect hen home! We will cut a doorway into the deck and add a ladder down to the covered dirt run, then fence it off to include a larger open run area with access to the garden, so our extremely interested dogs can’t have their way with my Ladies! (At least that’s my grand vision for the as-yet unsuspecting Honey-DO!)

I need to do a few upgrades to the make-shift, super fast setup I created so they will be comfortable and maybe be inspired to lay for me! I’ll be patiently awaiting the first golden gift of eggalicious awesomeness, though I know it could be a while. I can say that even my make-shift hotel setup is way more roomy, cozy and protected than their previous arrangements!

I’m just so eggcited to have them and get to know them- they have quickly become my most favored obsession! Thanks to All of the BYC Community for your open acceptance of each other and all the sharing of questions, experiences and knowledge. It’s already helped me so very much in my will to dive in, and now in my new venture with these Gorgeous Girls!
IMG_3467.jpg IMG_3468.jpg IMG_3542.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sometimes with large flocks, the lowest in the order can be bullied away from food and water. Of course this can lead to all kinds of health and mental disorders on this low ranking bird. You might keep out several food and water stations so the lower in the order birds can get sustenance. Chickens can be brutal on each other.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our community! :)

Jen,

What a delightful introduction and how wonderful you took in all those great chickens. And, that you did some serious research first. It sounds like you will have an eclectic mix of beautiful eggs.

I hope your "freaked out" Salmon Faverolles hen calms down. I have two Favs who are the most docile hens in the world. Camille and Celeste are seriously bonded, totally beautiful and the only ones of my hens still laying in the cold, dark Iowa pre-winter. They also tend to suddenly become possessed by some urge to dash madly around the yard for no apparent reason. I hope your girl also proves to be entertaining.

Welcome to BYC and keep enjoying your obsession!

Yes, she is most definitely a mad-dasher! I feel for her so, running back & forth not knowing what to do with her little chicken self! We are on day 4 together now, the Fav and Us, and it’s getting better. The 1st two days the other hens wouldn’t let her out of the coop to forage in their yard enclosure, and for a time it got to where when they heard her jump down from the roost to eat or drink, some of the bossier babes would go up the stairs and make her get back on the roost. Such a group hazing! On day 3, she decided to brave the other hens and cane out on her own to peck around to my delight! I stood guard for 15 minutes while she dust bathed in the sun next to the other loner EE. She was rapturing in the much needed bathing session! She is only about 7 months old to their year and a half, and with her submissive nature I suspect she’ll remain at the bottom of the order, but the most interesting result is that it’s caused the EE loner to spend more time amongst the flock! And as of last night, she’s allowing the Fav to roost next to her on the lidded tub inside the coop. The dynamics and social network of these Girls are so interesting!

Back
Top Bottom