Yay! I'm starting on my coop! Questions.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Desirai, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    YAY!

My best friend is going to help me build my coop since I don't have any tools.

We have drawn out a plan by looking at all the coops on this site.

How should windows be placed?

The place where I'm putting it has trees to the west and south, but the east and north is completely open.
    We are going to plant a tree of some sort next to it for shade. But I am not sure if the tree should be on the east or north. Or do we even need a tree?? I figure they need some sort of shade.

We're going to have the coop raised a bit so that they'll have a place to get to underneath. Tips ideas? I'll start taking pictures once we get the foundation down. The ground slopes so it will have to have some support on one side.

I'm so excited yaaaay!!!!! :)

2. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Keeping in mind I'm a newbie who will not have a coop until the end of this month.

So I've been reading all that I can.

Place your windows where you chickens can get the most light. With trees to the south (most sunlight) and to the west (evening sunlight) that leaves you with East (morning sunlight) for your windows.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have windows on my Large Coop on the East and West sides. I wanted to put a window or 2 on the north side but that side has way to many trees.

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by