YAY! Ordered new chicks - about 18 too many!

KatieV

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
I couldn't wait to order new chicks this year. My husband (who didn't want chickens) and I have been picking them out since last year when I ordered our first set. He says I didn't order enough...remember, he didn't want chickens. I currently have 2 BOs, 2 BR, and 2 GLW (one of which is a Roo). We wanted to add about 7 or 8 more and really that is all our coop will hold. PROBLEM - all the sites I looked at that have low order numbers are sold out for the season it seems. OR I could get them the last week of June or the first week of July. I'm due to have a baby July 7th....bad timing (for the chicks). I was so sad thinking I wouldn't be able to get new chicks this year...so I looked at McMurray and started adding chicks to the cart.
big_smile.png
Needless to say, we have 26 chicks coming the week of April 4th!!!!
th.gif
wee.gif
I was able to get all the breeds I had wanted except Welsummer's and EE's. I'll get those next year.

NOW - I need to try and find homes for about 15 to 17 chicks. I live in Upstate NY, about an hour southwest of Albany. Should I try craigslist, or see if anyone local/driving distance from this site would like some? Obviously I am assuming all the chicks will arrive healthy and alive.

Here is what is coming:
SPECKLED SUSSEX Females (3) Keeping 1
MOTTLED COCHIN BANTAMS St. Run (2) Keeping 1
WHITE SILKIE BANTAMS St. Run (4) Keeping 1
DARK BRAHMAS Females (2)
MILLE FLEUR BANTAMS St. Run (2) Keeping 1
BLACK LANGSHANS St. Run (2)
BIRCHEN COCHIN BANTAMS St. Run (2) Keeping 1
W. C. BLACK POLISH Females (2) Keeping 1
SALMON FAVEROLLES Females (2) Keeping 1
BLUE COCHINS St. Run (2) Keeping 1
LIGHT BRAHMAS Females (2) Keeping 1
And they said one mystery rare breed chick.....

Either way, I am really excited to get the chicks nice and early this year so that can actually play outside for a while before winter hits again.

Hi There! Just joined and interested in getting some chicks this year!! We are located in Catskill, NY. Where are you located?

hi congulations! i ordered chicks from mcmurry also mine wont come untill the 24 of april, hope to see pic of your new babies!

i love all thise breeds! i wish i lived closer! try a chicken swap in your area (you can just google "chicken swaps in ________(wherever you're from) ". good luck finding homes for all those babies!

Are you keeping all of those in the same coop? I seen you have some standards and bantams. You should be careful and make sure the standards let the bantams eat. I've had Japanese bantams with my standard flock no problem, but Cochin bantams and Sebrights didn't work. It depends on the birds, just something to think about
smile.png

Are we all obsessed or is it spring fever? I placed an order of 17 to go with my current 24. Well, the hatchery ran out of sexed Welsummers and instead of 5 pullets, I'm getting 12 straight run:eek:. My big coup is already full. I've sold two ducks to move the other three ducks back to the duck coup from my small chicken coup. With this batch even with the small coup I'll be over coup size by 7. I feel like I'm playing musical poultry
lau.gif
Ah, the sweet taste of chickie insanity.

Congrats on the new fuzzy butts! Im wondering if you're looking to sell them as a package or if you'll sell a couple. I'm also getting chicks the week of the 4th and would love to add a couple silkies and a polish. Let me know if you're willing to separate

Back
Top Bottom