Yay! Our design for our first coop!!! But, is it ok?

Quote:
Thank you!
smile.png

I was putting the roosts at different levels because I was trying to get away with spacing them 10 inches apart instead of 12 inches apart so my dropping board wouldn't have to be so big. Also, I was worried about them getting up to the top roost so I thought that first roost might act as a ladder.

I'm now rethinking things and thinking that maybe I should put them at the same level and have them at a height in between where the high one is and low one is now. That way their heads will be lower and I can add a larger ventilation opening along the top of the coop without worrying about their heads being in a draft (hopefully).

Great to know about the 1sq ft of ventilation per chicken. I had no idea. When my DH gets home we will work on it more.

CJ

Quote:

We are in Santa Barbara and less than 3 miles from the beach.

When it freezes here, the warnings are top news stories and it is just over night.

As far as drafts-I really don't worry about it too much. The chickens seem to love their house, we have some pretty elderly hens and I would think if it was hard on them, it would show. Instead the oldest hen (probably 10) goes in early to pick her favorite spot-hours before sunset! She looks better than ever with the new coop and seems very happy. The rooster is 10+ and other than having to ad some lower roosts to make it easier to hop up next to his favorite lady (the old hen) he has no trouble either. Other hens are probably 8, 6-7 and 5. I would think if there was a health issue it would have shown up.

But you could always design your coop so the top foot was a "flap" type window that would drop out of the way to allow air through 1/2 hardware cloth, but flip up to cover on bad weather days (still leave open ventilation above)

Quote:

We are in Santa Barbara and less than 3 miles from the beach.

When it freezes here, the warnings are top news stories and it is just over night.

As far as drafts-I really don't worry about it too much. The chickens seem to love their house, we have some pretty elderly hens and I would think if it was hard on them, it would show. Instead the oldest hen (probably 10) goes in early to pick her favorite spot-hours before sunset! She looks better than ever with the new coop and seems very happy. The rooster is 10+ and other than having to ad some lower roosts to make it easier to hop up next to his favorite lady (the old hen) he has no trouble either. Other hens are probably 8, 6-7 and 5. I would think if there was a health issue it would have shown up.

But you could always design your coop so the top foot was a "flap" type window that would drop out of the way to allow air through 1/2 hardware cloth, but flip up to cover on bad weather days (still leave open ventilation above)

We are practically neighbors! You must be getting the crazy wind we've had since yesterday, too. We are in Ventura County. We have an annual membership to your zoo.
smile.png

Maybe I am worrying too much about drafts. It gets a little bit hotter and a little bit cooler here than in SB, but in general the weather is very similar. I was going to make flap doors for the windows but now I am wondering if I really need to spend the extra time and extra expense to do so. I will have to think about it and talk to my husband about it. Maybe it isn't that big a deal to just add 'em so we have 'em.

Next time you come up to the Zoo, drive out to the Fairview Rd exit off the 101, go up and over the overpass and turn on South Fairview (odd turn but before McD's)

Go to the end of the road (Cox is on the right-railroad tracks dead ahead) and on the left is Island Seed and Feed. Very nice people there and very knowledgeable about chickens, they have a coop in the garden area. Show them your drawings and ask what they think.

I don't know anyone in Ventura or I would suggest there.

You can pick up some nice veggie starts there too if you garden and all kinds of other fun things.

PS you can get off the freeway at Los Positas and go to La Cumbre Seed and Feed and ask there too-nice people there as well, but Island has a coop on site to see.

Last edited:
agree with the previous posters that larger ventilation openings would be a good idea -- although if I understand correctly that your summer days are mostly just in the 80s, it could be worse. Still, you're cutting it a little fine with the existing design.

overall looks good, you've obviuosly put a lot of thought into this
smile.png

You might consider just having the one roost for now (for just 5 chickens), if you get more in future years you can add another roost but for now it will make the coop function better (For you and for chickens) to have just one.

You'd want at least 14" between underside of poo board and top of floor litter if you want them to be able to use the space reasonably-normally for walking around -- 18" would be better if possible.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
You know, adding a hinged, flap type of "awning" will take very little extra time, and will not only make you feel better if/when temps. drop a bit in the winter (just for overnight most likely), but are great for storms and such, to keep rain from gusting inside and getting your bedding all wet.
smile.png

ETA: We built some that we put up for spring/summer to keep rain and the sun's HOT rays out....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom