Yay. We got our first egg today.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allenschickens, Sep 10, 2014.

1. allenschickens

allenschickens New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    The shell was very thin and the egg itself was a lot smaller than I expected.[​IMG]

2. thepurplecoop

thepurplecoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Washington State
    Hey congratulations! Cute picture too! from what I understand, the first few eggs are usually like that (small, lopsided, etc) I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Buy some oyster grit if you haven't already done that. It should make quite a difference in the eggshells.

Waiting for the next one was difficult for me, it arrived 5 days later. ...

I'm sure you're hens will be fine layers. :)

3. Daniek

Daniek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    When my Red sexlink started laying it was one a day right away and during the first week she laid 2 in one day and even got a huge egg that was a double yolk. The eggs were small at first but have gotten bigger, On the other hand, I have 2 white lakenvelders, one of which started laying really small eggs that have gotten a little bigger. I found the first 2 in the nesting boxes and then everywhere else, I never know where I'll find an egg. She will lay 2 days and then take a day off generally. The other one that is the same age has yet to start a month later.

Hopefully you won't have to wait long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by