Yeah! Successful flock integration!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicksngoats, Oct 16, 2009.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I got 6 silkies about 7 weeks ago and didn't realize before I bought them that the flock integration could be so tricky (as I already had 8 chickens that were a few months older). So I found some great advice on the forum about introducing the flocks to each other and thought I would give it a go.

I started by quarantining for about 4 weeks in a rabbit cage that was about 100 yards away from the coop area.

After that time I moved the silkies down by the coop, but kept them in a fenced in area for their own safety (my other birds all free range).

Last night I decided to open up the fence to see what would happen. I have let 1 or 2 of the older hens run in the fenced area before and they have terrorized the silkies...my roo has been in once and I had to break up an attack that I think would have ended only when the silky was dead. Well, my older birds chased the silkies a bit but not to the extent that they did before. My roo took a few beak full of feathers off and then I split them up again. Then locked them both in their indivual coops for the night.

This morning I let them all out at the same time and there was very little drama...jusk a bit of pecking. I grabbed my roo and 2 of my bigger/older hens and locked them in the smaller fenced area for half the day so the silkies weren't so outnumbered. When I got back this afternoon, I let those out and watched as they all just ran around doing there own thing. A little bit of pecking, but I'm not worried that anyone is going to get killed. Oh did I mention that at least 2 of my silkies have turned out to be roosters as well? Hopefully not too many more start crowing [​IMG]

All this to say thank you for all the great advice that everyone on this forum has posted...I wouldn't have had any idea where to start with integrating the 2 flocks...Thanks so much everyone!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Congrats! I've just put my 4 almost 4-week-old chicks outside in a pen to start the intros to the older (3 months old) flock that free ranges. To my surprised, the older ones have shown no interest in the little ones - like they don't even know they are there. I plan to put them outside as much as possible during the day over the next few days since it is - finally - warm, and go from there. Glad to hear it has gone relatively smoothly for you. Hope I'll have the same experience....

3. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Way to go!!!! This is a HUGE accomplishment in my view since things aren't going so well for me. I'm jealous!

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

5. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    The silkies are still getting picked on, mostly at feeding time. But at least my roo isn't charging at them from 50 feet away with the look of death in his eyes [​IMG] Honestly I think the big thing that helps is that they are all free ranging, so there is plenty of room for everryone to do their own thing. I think I might continue to lock up the roo and a couple bigger hens on occasion just to even up the score a bit, so that silkies get a break now and then.

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds great. It'll take some time for them to settle their pecking order. Keep an eye on that roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by