Year 2 with chicks :)

tsuya

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Snohomish in the PNW
Last year I lost my flock of three hens, my buff Chocobo was killed by a dog that my mother beat near to death with a shovel to get out of yard (it was hunting another one); my White Laced Wyandotte Matilda went missing (I have a theory that involves the neighbors) and my blue Wyandotte we gave to a friend because she refused to come out of the coop and eat/drink. Never having lost chickens I cried pretty hard because they were my pets and had I been home another minute I could have saved Chocobo.

Anyway, sorry to start off depressing but I have four new chicks this year! Marshmallow the Silkie, Alvin the Amerucana (can never spell this right), Tuxedo the Jersey Giant, and Abi the Giant Cochin. :)

I have a friend building me a new coop as we speak for these little guys and I'll be hopefully getting two buff's this weekend as they are my mom's favorite chickens! One will be named Kweh and the other is yet to be named.

Glad to hear your new chicks are getting a more secure home. It sounds like you live in a dangerous neighborhood if one happens to be a chicken. I have only seen a full sized cochin once and it was HUGE. Can you have a rooster where you live? If you can they are good protectors. Good luck with your new babies!
jumpy.gif

Glad to hear your new chicks are getting a more secure home. It sounds like you live in a dangerous neighborhood if one happens to be a chicken. I have only seen a full sized cochin once and it was HUGE. Can you have a rooster where you live? If you can they are good protectors. Good luck with your new babies!
jumpy.gif
We're not allowed a rooster sadly. I knew going into it that the Cochin was going to be big but that's perfectly fine with me! My theory was that with two big chickens, some animals might be less inclined to do anything to my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom