Year and half old hen egg color changed

LynnPG

Songster
5 Years
Jul 7, 2016
Upper Mount Bethel, PA
Hi everyone,

My Red Sex Link egg color changed from light brown to a cream color. She is a year and a half old and she laid a lot of double yolk eggs and her eggs are bigger then Jumbo eggs. They are the size of my Royal Plum turkeys eggs. My chickens free range from sun up to sun down, but they do have access to feed. Is she sick or do I need to change her feed. No other hens from her age group egg color changed.

Attaching a picture before and after. One of the pictures are of my hen's egg next to our Royal Plum Turkey egg (white with speckles). Then the egg changed color to match the same color as my Silver Laced Wyandotte, cream color.
20170309_165125.jpg
20170712_105018.jpg

As a hen progresses through her laying cycle, her "paint bucket" starts to get empty, so her egg shells will get lighter in color. When she molts, and stops laying, the pigment supply increases, and her new cycle will start with nice dark shells.

This is her double yolk size of her eggs. It is BIGGER then the Turkeys egg and I can't close my hand around the egg and I have piano fingers as my grandmother calls it. :)
16463174_10210628310497224_6369712197271102422_o.jpg
16463554_10210628310577226_7746264495458340997_o.jpg

One or two of my sex-links laid a monster egg Saturday and Sunday. Both double yoke. Both 3.55 once, 20170708_111503.jpg . I have noticed the larger the egg, the lighter in color they are. GC

Hi, I think I've learned some things from this thread. I have two red sex-link girls who laid large dark brown eggs last year, their first year of laying. They did not molt this fall, it didn't seem completely. Anyway, they seem to be laying still large brown eggs but they are lighter in color. So, it's hard to tell if it's their eggs or if its another one of my hens but the size matches last year, I think it's theirs and they are just lighter. Anyway, it sounds like the 'color depth' lightens the longer they go before a real molt.

Does this happen with other breeds or is it just sex-linked hens?

Hi, I think I've learned some things from this thread. I have two red sex-link girls who laid large dark brown eggs last year, their first year of laying. They did not molt this fall, it didn't seem completely. Anyway, they seem to be laying still large brown eggs but they are lighter in color. So, it's hard to tell if it's their eggs or if its another one of my hens but the size matches last year, I think it's theirs and they are just lighter. Anyway, it sounds like the 'color depth' lightens the longer they go before a real molt.

Does this happen with other breeds or is it just sex-linked hens?
This 'lighter as they age eggs' can happen will any breed.

Back
Top Bottom