Year old hen cant stand or walk, no balance, just laying on side......

aukuma

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2010
W PA
I have a year old cochin and amerucauna mix who seems to have come down with something and I am not sure how to treat her.

She had been a bit puffed up 2 days ago, but no other issues, free ranged fine.

Yesterday I found her in the coop on her side. I took her out and she cant stand, falls to one side catching herself with her wings. Here's the kicker, she is eating, her comb is nice and red, and she is still laying every day.

What could be wrong with her? How do I treat it? She is the only sick one out of 9. It may be an injury, but how can I tell?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Rachael

This happened to my Welsummer Myrtle. She laid on her side and would make a kicking motion with her legs but could not stand on them. Everyone here advised that it sounded neurological. I gave her Vit E and D oil on her food. She was like this for well over a month, with no change. The vet here considers chickens 'exotic' and the cost to take her was too much for me to take her in find out what was going on. This followed a heavy moult, but nothing else could be determined. Hope someone has more info for you!

Thank you looptloop. I'll add some oil in her water. I started her on an antibiotic.

Sounds like what happened to my chicken, also free range. I couldn't find a Vet and finally after a month my Vet said he'd look at her. He said that she had lice that laid eggs in her ear and prescribed Sevin. He cleaned out her ear, but unfortunately the next morning she had passed. I think that it was the stress from going to the doctor, but she wasn't getting any better on her own so i don't feel like i had a choice.

Ive got the same thing going on with my americauna. Lays on her side ,cant stand her poops are actually getting more solid now she has had diarrea for days. Its been 4 days now and no change. She eats very little, some yogurt and scrambled egg. Someone told me to put vinegar in her water and she drinks it ok. One big problem is she cant reach her food or water very well after she falls on her side. I worry about her when Im at work all day. I also have to give her a bath and blow dry every evening because she poops on herself.
sad.png
I have her in a cage inside the basement with puppy training pads under her. I also put an electric heating pad under the training pads tonight, thought the warmth would feel good. Good luck and keep us posted!!

This happened to one of my hens too and lasted over a month. I was also worried about her eating and drinking while I was at work. I made a hammock for her using a box and attaching fabric with leg holes to make a sling. She would hang comfortably, was able to stay upright and reach her food and water and even pooped and laid eggs right into the box (made for easier cleaning). She ended up with lice towards the end because I think she was weakened and couldn't groom herself like before. She had a good appetite up until last Friday and ended up passing on Saturday. the hammock helped and she had good spirits would greet me with a couple clucks when I came in. Always hard to loose a pet.

Oh dear, doesnt sound good. Should I just take her to the vet and have her put down? I couldnt do that myself!

I would not cull her yet, worth a try to give her some chicken vitamins in her food for a few days to see if her proplem is from a vitamin deficiency, this can happen. I have had a hen unable to walk, otherwise fine, it took two weeks but she has been fine now for over a year

Quote:
Thank you! I dont want to lose her. With such a small flock each one is so important to me. I will pickup some baby vitamins today and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom