Year old Hen diagnosed with Egg yolk peritonitis

Glad to hear your hen is doing better! I just have to say, the "egger" breeds seem prone to issues like this from my experience and also what I have read. We have 2 Lakeshore Eggers, and although they lay beautiful green eggs, I would never get this breed again. They have had so many problems! One laid fine for about a year, and then started laying soft eggs and basically only lays those now. We get about 1-2 regular shelled eggs from her per month. I expect at some point she will get an infection and die, but I've tried everything - changing her feed, force-feeding calcium daily for months on end, etc., and finally just gave up. She seems healthy and happy otherwise, although I'm always having to trim and wash her butt as it's regularly covered with egg!

The other continues to lay regularly and constantly (even all through the winter and during her molt!), but has started to have occasional soft shell egg problems as well sometimes, as well as recurring vent issues. She also now is recovering from bumblefoot, although I know that has nothing to do with her laying... She's the most regular inhabitant of our "infirmary crate"! The fact that they are both super flighty and difficult to catch (no matter how often they are handled) doesn't help.

I'm sticking with heritage breeds from now on! :)

Glad to her your girl is better. I’ve lost two Production Reds last year due to EYP. And I have another one that I just discovered last week starting up with the same symptoms as well; ascitis, lash eggs… etc. I agree with holisticlivings post, Heritage breeds for me from now on as well. Keep us updated on how Yours is doing.

She had her second birthday this week. Has put weight back on and hasn't had a reoccurance yet.

She lays sporadically but not with any regularity. Appetite is good, poos look good, and behavior is normal.

I know the likelihood is high it will happen again and she may not make it, but at least she is living the chicken life now :)

Back
Top Bottom